How to control laptop integrated and dedicated graphics cards, need help!

Vykiss

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015
Hello everyone.

In my previous thread i explained about my laptops mega high temperatures while idling after i brought it back from warranty service.
While idling my laptop reaches 58-64 degrees celcius, GPU reaches 54-60 - measured with SpeedFan. On extreme rare occasions, when i restart or turn my laptop off and on the same application shows that my GPU temperatures are at 0 degrees, while the whole system temperature drops at least by 10 degrees. This has only happened a couple of times, and i have no idea why.

In some other threads ive found that the dgpu shouldnt be working while the laptop is idling, and should only turn on when needed (games and such). I have tested my girlfriends and parents' laptops (both of which also have dedicated GPUs) with the same app - SpeedFan. Both laptops showed 0 degrees for the GPU.
In some other thread ive read that HWMonitor doesnt even detect dedicated gpu when the laptop is idling, and only detects when a game is turned on. Yesterday i tried HWMonitor myself, and, while my laptop is idling, its detecting my dedicated GPU (Nvidia GT 650M), temperatures reaching 55-58 degrees celcius. Im starting to think that this might be the reason why my system is heating so bad while idling. Maybe after the motherboard change at warranty service the drivers messed up?

So, what i want to ask - how do i control when my PC uses igpu and dgpu? I have already tried Nvidia control panel - switched global settings to use the integrated graphics - nothing changed. SHOULD my laptop use the igpu while idling or dgpu? Whats the difference? Should i reinstall my Nvidia drivers? Any suggesstions and answers are appreciated.

The thing why i am asking this is because i havent had any heating problems before the warranty service, and, unfortunately, i didnt measure my laptop temperatures when i had my old motherboard. I started to suspect something bad only by the loud fan noise on idle, and by the very hot air pushing out off the air vents, and, when i measured the temperatures on my laptop with this new mobo, immediately found out that its a bit out of norm (normal temperatures for the intel i7 3630QM are 35-40 C, according to other threads ive found, which is more than 20 degrees more). I didnt measure my temperatures before because i couldnt find a need to it - everything was working perfectly fine - silent and pretty cool.

Thank you guys for the answers

Vykiss

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015

My laptop is an ASUS N56VZ. Is there a way to provide the mobo model through some kind of settings without opening the laptop? I cant open it up because im still on a battle with the warranty service so i dont really want to open up my laptop. The MOBO was changed because one day the computer didnt turn on, turns out the mobo fried somehow. Took the laptop to the warranty service and a line of problems occured after that, including the heating

Hi, you have to live with a refurbish motherboard, when they replaced the motherboard, don't think they put a new motherboard, they put a repaired motherboard. So, if the repair was done right, you will not have any problem, but if they screw up, you still have the problem of the refurbish motherboard. If any one have a better answer, you are welcome to share.

Vykiss

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015

Hi, thank you for your answer! I have already heard about the fact that warranty repairs are done with refurbished parts, which is a huge let down for me. Unfortunately, in this thread im asking if i can control when my laptop is using iGPU and dGPU, and i already tried Nvidia control panel.

Now, about the warranty service. There are 2 main things why im still battling with them - 1st one being the choice of changed parts - my laptop got a new screen (which still is a mistery to my why it was changed), lvds cable, and, of course, the mobo. The lvds cable and the screen were changed again, because the lvds cable broke down 2 days after the 1st warranty service visit, and the screen had the viewing angles of a 400 euro laptop and was flickering weirdly, so it was changed without any questions.
The second thing why im still battling with em is because i believe they are trying to fool me - i took my pc to the warranty service 4th time for a money back because of the heating. 13 days later they give me a call telling me the temperatures they measured are OK (37 C while idling), but when i got it home the temperatures jumped up to 58C in 15 mins, ambient room temperature being 17.5-18 C. Did they measured the temperatures on cooling pad while the bottom plastic piece was taken off? I really have no idea.

Im concerned about the durability of the parts, 2 of 3 were changed more than once, and after the mobo change my laptop started to shut down without a reason - it shut down while i was writing this message, so i had to rewrite the whole thing:D
BUT, the thread is not about the heating problem, i just wrote it all down to give you guys a back story. I would like to know if theres a way to make my laptop use the integrated GPU instead of dedicated. Thanks!