Solved! How to download apps to SD card in Android tablet that is mounted and registered as default writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2019
installed Lexar micro SD card which is recognized but does not allow any storage. Do I have to use my computer to download to chip before the app will work in my RCA tablet?

Solution
If you mean you are trying to make it so the SD card can have apps installed to and run from it, this isn't something an app can do. It requires specific things, the instructions for that I am including below. If however, you mean something else, then please explain.

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (6.0) or newer, or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a tablet that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has...
If you mean you are trying to make it so the SD card can have apps installed to and run from it, this isn't something an app can do. It requires specific things, the instructions for that I am including below. If however, you mean something else, then please explain.

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (6.0) or newer, or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a tablet that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option A

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option B

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

A Final Note: If you set up the card as "Internal" storage, then the data on it will not be readable by any other device. To access the data you would have to connect the tablet to say a computer and copy it over to the computer from the tablet/card. Otherwise only that tablet can read the data. Also, be sure you do not reset (hard or factory) the tablet. If you do, then all the data on the card will no longer be readable, even by the tablet itself.

Solution
Jan 28, 2019
Unfortunately...no. Did as recommended and still will not allow for any space of 64GB chip recognized, to download the app requested. It is recognized as a portable storage on my new RCA Android tablet and repeats all efforts to be accomplished directly to internal space which is all used by Google apps installed prior to purchase. Tried RCA manual and help but they offer nothing in my demise. Only one game app has been downloaded and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.