How to Edit AVI files (from Fraps) in Vegas Pro 13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
So i have Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 and Vegas Pro 13. I've been screen recording my games with Fraps at 60 fps at full size for long periods of time. Editing these files on Vegas 13 always freezes ("Not Responding") and eventually shuts down, but strangely enough, they play fine on Platinum 10 (the older software).

so now i know it cant be a Codec thing. how do i make it work?

Solution
Make sure your video editor is fully updated through Help - Updates tab. They usually release hotfixes to such issues. If that won't solve your issue then I'm afraid you either will have to switch to a more competent video editor such as Adobe Premiere.

Or install free transcoder called the Handbrake, and put your Fraps videos through it first before using them in the video editor. Handbrake will re-encode your video into more video editing friendly size and format without touching the video quality. The single disadvantage of the Handbrake is that it's an extra step in your working process.

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Cpu: AMD FX6100 Six Core Processor 3.30 Ghz
Ram: 16 GB Dual channel DDR3 @ 669mhz
Graphics: 2 Gbs ATI AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7870

im pretty sure its not the ram.

I agree, I don't think it is a RAM issue as the files don't crash when playing them in Platinum 10. It sounds more like a Vegas 13 issue. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas 13? Odd as it may sound that may help resolve the issue.

corroded

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Agree, 16GB should do it.

I have not attempted anything that dense on my system. Had Vegas Studio on my old machine. Ran the trial version here for its term... Never had any issues.

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

yeah, i did that... still the same. ive heard it has something to do with the fraps codec?

RobiePAX

Estimable
May 19, 2014
Make sure your video editor is fully updated through Help - Updates tab. They usually release hotfixes to such issues. If that won't solve your issue then I'm afraid you either will have to switch to a more competent video editor such as Adobe Premiere.

Or install free transcoder called the Handbrake, and put your Fraps videos through it first before using them in the video editor. Handbrake will re-encode your video into more video editing friendly size and format without touching the video quality. The single disadvantage of the Handbrake is that it's an extra step in your working process.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.