How to hook up a reciever to a preamp

522740mo

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I have a S.A.E. R102 receiver with built in tuner I just purchased a S.A.E.P102 preamp where does it hookup to, the pre amps tuner input output jacks or do I need to eliminate the receiver and replace it with a T102 tuner. Can someone explain this in simple terms please Thank you Oscar

Solution
G
Look for tape output socket or pre-out socket on the receiver and connect that to any line input on the preamp (tape in, tuner, aux).

Incidentally, you need to be a little careful running a receiver without any load on the speaker terminals. It's usually okay with transistor stuff but keep the volume knob turned down. You might want to get advice -- some people may suggest wiring 8ohm resistors across the terminals but I'd check (with the maker if possible).

G

Look for tape output socket or pre-out socket on the receiver and connect that to any line input on the preamp (tape in, tuner, aux).

Incidentally, you need to be a little careful running a receiver without any load on the speaker terminals. It's usually okay with transistor stuff but keep the volume knob turned down. You might want to get advice -- some people may suggest wiring 8ohm resistors across the terminals but I'd check (with the maker if possible).

Solution
Unless you think that the preamp will make an improvement in sound it has no real function for you. If you want to connect it you would connect the tape record out of the receiver to the tuner in of the preamp (so you can listen to radio). Connect the preamp main outs to the amplifier inputs on the receiver (if it has them). If it doesn't have them then there is no reason to use the preamp as you cannot bypass the preamp section of the receiver. Connect any other sources the preamp directly.

522740mo

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Thanks for the advice to be careful when I hooked it up I immediately got bad feed back so I replaced the R102 with a T102 and behold it works. I am no longer the new guy Thanks a lot you guys where very helpful now I will make Toms hardware the place to find knowledgeable people and answers.THANKS GUYS.