how to install a second hard drive in a notebook?

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
I want to get rid of the optical drive and install a second HDD, and I got a new HDD as well.
But when I opened the laptop, the DVD drive is much larger than the HDD. And the connections on the back of the HDD are not the same as those on the back of the DVD drive.
How do I make the HDD fit in the upgrade bay of the notebook?

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
There is a lot of missing information here. Can you tell us exactly what model laptop you have? The brand and the model I should say. The model will either be on top along with the keyboard or it may be listed on the bottom on a sticker or something.

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
thanks both of you, sorry i ddin't mention the model#, thought it's the same for all laptops :p
It's HP Probook EnergyStar, (Product# XU015UT#ABA), the DVD drive it has is branded HP, and the HDD I got is a WD Blue. I want to install OpenSuse on the new drive and make the computer dual boot with opensuse 13.2 and Windows 8.1 Pro.
Reading the tutorial (that SuperSoph_WD pointed out) now :)

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
Turns out i need a "Caddy" thingy, it should have been obvious, even if I could fit the HDD in the upgrade bay, it would leave a wide opening on the side of the laptop-the place from where the DVD tray comes out... I'll check the local computer store and see if they've got one that'll work with my laptop. Thanks for the tutorial link :)