how to make your sd card the default storge location on the Galaxy J5

sanajivv

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
The SM Command does not work. How to use the SD card as a storage as after the update of Marshmallow 6.0.1, only 811 mb is now free while using only whatsapp as all other apps are default with the J5

Solution
It sounds like, unfortunately, you got a device that will not allow for making it "Internal". Some manufacturers have put that limitation on their devices. Why, you would have to ask them. I know of no other way to make the change, short of rooting the phone (which still may not allow for it).

If you want to consider that (note it would void any warranty you have) I would suggest you visit the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html
Well if you are running "Marshmallow", and as long as the phone doesn't restrict the change (Samsung has done that with some devices), then you should be able to do it. The instructions on how are below.

Please Note: You need to start with a 'blank' SD card. The reason for this is that it will be formatted and encrypted so as to only work with that device once it is changed. So anything that was on it beforehand would be deleted.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

sanajivv

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

sanajivv

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

sanajivv

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Hi,

I do not get the Option 'Format as Internal" on my Samsung j5 (India) after it was Upgraded to MM 6.0.1

Setting->storage->Memory Card->Format-> I get 2 options as
1. Unmount
2. Format
On selecting 'Format'....... I get a Display as "Format as Portable Storage" with a button "Format >

I understand, if I select "format the data will get erased and the SD Card will get formatted but will not be considered as a part of Internal Storage.

Kindly guide.

Regards

Sanajivv Jaggirdar

It sounds like, unfortunately, you got a device that will not allow for making it "Internal". Some manufacturers have put that limitation on their devices. Why, you would have to ask them. I know of no other way to make the change, short of rooting the phone (which still may not allow for it).

If you want to consider that (note it would void any warranty you have) I would suggest you visit the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Solution