how to recover?

carlosrafa

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I connect my external hard drive Toshiba to my TV plasma LG, from TV got to see my files and when I wanted to enter the directory "My Documents" (he has many files) could not enter, appeared an error message, after several failed attempts, this directory disappeared. Now when I connect the external hard disk to the PC (with Windows 10) is not the directory "My Documents" but looking at the size of occupied room, I aware that the files are there, I ran the antivirus Kaspersky, and while doing the analysis I can see that files are in a new directory called "found.001"; the same with other directories that have been renamed by found.000, found.002. Using the command prompt, I can view these files, but I can not open them. I ran Recuva but it has recover a few, but changed their name, they have been numbered, for example: file1, file 2, etc. How do I solve it? Thank you.

Solution
Hi there carlosrafa,

That is really unpleasant. There's a chance that the TV, kind of, reformatted the drive.
Unfortunately, you don't have many options. If the data is extremely important, your safest bet would be to contact a data recovery company.
Apart from that, you can just try different data recovery tools and hope that they would recover more of the data stored on the drive.

One other thing you can do is to see whether the data is recognized under Ubuntu. You can boot from a CD or a flash drive(don't install it), go to the external drive and see if the files are over there: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there carlosrafa,

That is really unpleasant. There's a chance that the TV, kind of, reformatted the drive.
Unfortunately, you don't have many options. If the data is extremely important, your safest bet would be to contact a data recovery company.
Apart from that, you can just try different data recovery tools and hope that they would recover more of the data stored on the drive.

One other thing you can do is to see whether the data is recognized under Ubuntu. You can boot from a CD or a flash drive(don't install it), go to the external drive and see if the files are over there: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

carlosrafa

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Hello D_Know_WD and Thank you very much indeed!
directories and files could be recovered, really they were not deleted, but were hidden and their names were changed, their names were cut to the first 6 letters or characters followed by the tilde symbol and the number 1, for example, the directory " BIRTHDAY "now is called "BIRTHD~1", and so on, and other worse, just let the first letter and numbers. The ditrectories and files can be displayed using the software USBShow.exe. What I can do to get back to their original names? because it is confusing to recognize which is which.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there carlosrafa,

Perhaps you can try some different tools?
There are multiple threads in the community on users that have recovered their data with different file names. Some of these may help you.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)