How to remove safesearch.ch search engine from chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

reneenilsen

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
The issue am facing is safesearch.ch search engine has hijacked my chrome browser. Actually i fixed changing my home page but could not change the search engine . when i click the safe search engine a pop up shows it is privileged by administrator. also i tried to remove it in built in administrator and safe mode . it did not work. I had cleared all the crapwares , cleared the safesearch.ch from registry using hijack this , uninstalled chrome cleared all the traces related to chrome in appdata and programdata , rebooted and reinstalled. even after these steps i could not find a solution. when i opened new google chrome it appeared with the same safesearch.ch search engine. i also can't make any other engine as default. custom setting also did not work. i need a solution for this ..

I have found this article about how to remove safesearch.ch. It is also helpful. Anyway, thank you all the same!

jonp11

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

I was hit with this ridiculous browser hijacker today.....well my wife was but I got to do the fun removal part. After an hour and a half of reading and trying different things that also carried with them the threat of irreparably damaging my system; I finally stumbled onto a Google thread on this subject and the simplest solution ended up working for me.

and what worked for me was this:
"Very Simple solution:
Press and hold Windows key and R (Win+R)
Copy and paste: %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy/Machine
Delete : Registry.pol

Restart the computer.
All done"

It would appear that the author of this scourge has made modifications over time as they have discovered that those infected are finding solutions. So who knows how long this method will work. What's clear is that all the "best" malware and adware solutions (including the Chrome cleanup tool) are not able to eradicate this things from peoples systems. Hope someone finds this helpful!

speny21

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

THANK YOU GOOD SIR! I was all over the internet looking for a solution. Most of the info out there was simple uninstall program crap that obviously wan't working. Spyhunter 4 wanted to charge $40 to "hopefully" remove it. I was about to wipe my hard drive and found this post last minute. Worked like a charm!

Erika6396

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

I've never tried to post a response so I hope I'm doing this right... Thank you, thank you, thank you! I spent hours looking for how to remove SafeSearch (and Yahoo as its search engine since they appear to be a pair) and your solution fixed it in seconds. Thank you so much.

Jebediah_1

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
As of August 4th, 2016, your answer and solution still works and is effective for Windows Vista, and Windows 7 SPK1. Dont know about any operating system past these as i havent had the bad luck to get any brought in to me with this evil bug on there.
I just wanted to let user Jonp11 know how grateful we are for his help, and to update this thread for anyone who might come down with this that it does still work. have a groovy day.
Peace,
Jeb~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.