How to set SD card as download location on Moto G3

B13B

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I have the Moto G3 and I really love the phone, but I can't fit more than a couple of apps on the thing even with my 8GB SD in it. Every app but Skype can't be moved to the SD and there's no way I can find to set default downloads to the SD, so I end up with "not enough storage" every time I try to download an app. Help.

Well, you will need to be running Android "Marshmallow" to be able to run apps from the SD card. It allows this because it will turn the SD card into "Internal" storage rather than the standard "External" storage. That is if the manufacturer hasn't limited that option.

Now on that phone you should also be able to have up to a 32GB SD card, if you are running "Marshmallow" and the option isn't restricted, having a card that size would give you that much space for apps, etc.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

B13B

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Unfortunately the SD is already formatted in this way. The phone just doesn't seem to recognise it as such.

It should be, and it seems it is, since you can move all those other apps. If it wasn't, you couldn't run them from the card.

It may not be allowing running Skype from it either because it is a Skype issue (they restricted the ability) or it is due to lack of space even on the card.

B13B

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

The SD is nearly entirely empty, and I can't move any apps aside from skype. Anybody else got any input?

OK something is fishy here then. Because you said it is formatted that way but won't take apps. That really doesn't sound right.If the phone allows the card to be made "Internal" storage, then the apps should be able to move to it. That said, you will often see the apps as still on the system, when they are now on the card. Since the card is now the main internal storage after this change.

If it isn't working that way, then either it was not made "Internal", the card is not functioning correctly, or the phone isn't.