How to Sper Compress?

SurFac3

Estimable
May 26, 2014
Hello, i need to find a way to super compress files (folder with games usualy) ,my bro has a limited conection internet and i want to find a way to compres a 4.7gb folder to less than 2gb ,i saw that this tihing it posible at a game,they compresed 4.7gb to 1.6gb ,compresed file extension was .exe ,im wondering if any of you know how i can do that too ,that will help me a lot,doesnt matter if it takes 10 hours...,i just want to super compress folders.
i tihnk theres a software that do that,i mean it there a way to do it manualy? ,and make it with .exe extension?

There is a certain possible maximum compression, given by the entropy in the files. Depending on what the files are, it may simply be impossible to compress them further.

It depends on what they are. Text can usually be compressed to 10-15% of the original size, but pre-compressed video, images, or audio may not be able to be further compressed at all. Executable code can usually be compressed somewhat, but not a lot.

SurFac3

Estimable
May 26, 2014
mdea,you got ti good... i want to download game,compress it verry good,uppload and let him download... if he was having good conection he was downloading it..

USAFRet

Illustrious

Put it on a dvd and mail it. Safer and faster.
However....'downloading a game' usually does not work that way. Download from where?

SurFac3

Estimable
May 26, 2014

from their main site... ,hes in germany im in romania ,we cant do thing with dvd,if he was close i was using stick

USAFRet

Illustrious

Install files for games are already highly compressed. Doubtful you'd get much more using WinRAR or 7z.

SurFac3

Estimable
May 26, 2014

did that allready ,i compresed fro 4gb to 3.5 gb ,i was amazed how AK Cabal ,compresed a 4.5gb+ folder to 1.6gb ,i was needing some way here :(

Sayken

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Indeed doing such compression is possible. There was this time with ether saga game as well.
A private server compressed the folder to half it's size. Quite the accomplishment given the fact that it was not a "project" private server, which tend to modify all data and do good at that.
Compressing the installer sounds a bit tricky as it would require to modify not only the whole data whitin but it's structure as well.
But compressing more (huge sized) folders partially and then the whole "pancake party" all together in one should not be "impossible".
Yet I have 0 clue about the names of the apps able to do that, nor do I have any knowledge in that matter x.x .
As I am let in the dust, does it happen that someone here within this forum knows the process to do that or the name of the apps? highly appreciated ^^
or else someone has to drag the admin of that ak cabal here on tomshardware to teach us how to do it XD
and yeah people underestimate limited, low signal, weak internet. they have no clue how awesome it is =))

The issue is that there is a certain point beyond which it is simply impossible to compress a file/folder. For example, it is simply impossible the compress purely random data - it ends up larger than the input file size.

If the game was very poorly compressed to begin with, then it's possible that you could that kind of difference. But not forever; you can't keep compressing something forever.

Sayken

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
indeed but after finding out in pm that the game he reffers to (eden eternal) has a folder almost 0% compressed he could still get half of it's size. I have seen this being done yet have no clue how to do it :/ . If we were talking about tera then yeah. It would haven been like fighting a wall with a spoon.
the installer itself is compressed. fair enough. but once the data get's extracted into it's folder in c:\ d.\ whatsoever (that part isn't compressed) except for tera and other funny games.
I might be wrong tough.
But as you see with most private server games they download the official installer -> extract the data -> compress the data and get ridiculous low sizes.
okay they might do some modification as well maybe so idk.