Solved! How well will run Linux on MS SURFACE Laptop?

notalentgiveittoya

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Hey guys!

My brother ordered a Microsoft Surface Laptop for my birthday. I would like to know how good Linux will run on it. Should I cancel the order and order another notebook? Do you have some recommendations?

To myself: I started to study computer science and need a thin lightweight, but also powerful notebook.

Solution
The MS Surface Laptop has a 7th Generation Intel® Core i5 or i7 CPU and should run Linux with no problem. What flavor of Linux you choose to run is the real question. Of course personal preference is everything but If your open to suggestions I would recommend the latest version of Linux Mint. At this time Linux Mint is the 4th most popular OS (and still climbing) in use.

Linux should run like a champ on that laptop

As far as canceling the order only you can make that decision. Here's what cnet.com had to say about the MS Surface:

The GoodL: The Surface Laptop has a slim, modern design and comes in a selection of cool colors. Battery life is very good, and the keyboard and touchpad are both excellent.

The Bad: The included Windows...

darksky1x

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
The MS Surface Laptop has a 7th Generation Intel® Core i5 or i7 CPU and should run Linux with no problem. What flavor of Linux you choose to run is the real question. Of course personal preference is everything but If your open to suggestions I would recommend the latest version of Linux Mint. At this time Linux Mint is the 4th most popular OS (and still climbing) in use.

Linux should run like a champ on that laptop

As far as canceling the order only you can make that decision. Here's what cnet.com had to say about the MS Surface:

The GoodL: The Surface Laptop has a slim, modern design and comes in a selection of cool colors. Battery life is very good, and the keyboard and touchpad are both excellent.

The Bad: The included Windows 10 S operating system can only install preapproved apps by default (but it's upgradable). The long-term life of the fabric covering remains a question. The cooler colors are only available in more expensive configurations, and the port selection is limited, skipping USB-C entirely.

The Bottom Line: While it doesn't necessarily stand out in a crowded field, the Surface Laptop has a great design and is a solid, travel-friendly clamshell PC.

The real question is how the fabric covering is going to hold up. At this time that's an unknown.

Solution