HP 15-N293CL now power during display assembly replacement.

bleakman3

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
HP Touchsmart 15 15-N293CL

So a client dropped his laptop and broke just the digitizer (glass). The internal LCD was fine but, I couldn't find just the digitizer anywhere. So, I bought an entire LCD assembly off ebay.

I pinned it down with just a couple of screws and plugged it in, the power connector, antenna, and set the keyboard loosely in place and connected it, the power button and the touch pad.

I decided to test it out before buttoning everything down, so I plugged in the power cord (no battery) and hit the power button. Nothing not a click a beep or even a little jiggle from the fan.
So, I hooked up the battery and tried with both connected. Nothing again except now the power light indicator next to the power cord goes from white to amber (which according to what I read just means it's charging).

The system powered up fine and worked perfectly before the dis-assembly (aside from little chunks of glass falling out of it). I've only pulled the top panel and keyboard to access the hinge assembly so no other components were terribly disturbed.

So I guess I'm just seeking the "what stupid little thing did I miss" kind of advice. I've done a couple of dozen or so complete laptop rebuilds and never encountered this little head scratcher.

The only things I am left with assuming is the possibility that I somehow broke the ribbon cable that connects the power button.

Any other thoughts?

bleakman3

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Ok, I got to power on again!

I pulled the entire board out and set in on my workbench. Then I pulled the power button loose from the top panel and the power module from the main chassis and hooked up only those 2 items.

Nothing :(

Then I pulled the CMOS battery and viola spinning fans :)

So now to reassemble and hope all is well.

(I knew I just had to talk this out)

TRENDING THREADS