HP Elitebook randomly turned off, won't start up again (fan rotates for half a second)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bd

Estimable
May 5, 2015
My HP Elitebook was working great till it shutted itself off. When I try to turn it on, the fan spins and the LEDs turn on (no blink), but it turns itself off after one second. When I plug in the charger, the charger LED on the laptop switches randomly, almost epileptic between orange and blue instead of the regular constant blue colour.

Previously I sometimes had a startup error in which the screen remained black and CAPS + NUM were blinking three times in a row (if I'm correct a memory error). Normally, I could easily resolve this by putting out the battery, hold the power button for 15 sec and put the battery back in. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working anymore because of the immediate shutdown.

My questions:
1. What is possibly broken?
2. How do I fix this/what should I ask for in the computer store?
3. If there is no good diagnosis, how could I save the important files from my harddrive?

Thank you in advance

Solution
1- possibly the battery, the power supply, or the motherboard.

2- try removing the battery and trying to boot it

3- if all else fails, get the hard drive out, and mount it in a SATA to USB kit and read it with another computer

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
1- possibly the battery, the power supply, or the motherboard.

2- try removing the battery and trying to boot it

3- if all else fails, get the hard drive out, and mount it in a SATA to USB kit and read it with another computer

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.