white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I just bought a new HP Envy 14 J119TX with the core spec as described below:
Intel i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GTX950M 4GB, 12GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD

Previously it has 8GB of RAM and 1TB of HDD with the OEM Windows 10 Home SL installed. After upgrading the memory and the hard drive, I tried to install Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 Home on the new SSD. I have two usb flashdrive, a new one with 16GB of capacity and usb 3.0. And the older one, 4GB of capacity and usb 2.0.

My problem is that when I try to install any of the OS I mentioned before, the laptop seems to restart itself in the middle of the installation process which ended up on failed OS installation. It happen mostly on the Ubuntu installation. I tried installing the win 10 and it (almost) works. The OS was installed but it always get random errors everytime I boot it up. Any idea on how to fix this?

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks
I tried inserting my new RAM, a Corsair Vengeance, and it restarted again unexpectedly. Any idea why?

New RAM not compatible with the laptop. You can try a BIOS update then try the new RAM. If not, return the RAM, going from 8 to 12 GB won't help much and you are running an unbalanced dual channel spec with an 8 and a 4 gb stick.

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

sorry for the very late reply. is it possible that it was caused by the unbalanced spec? if it is, some of my friends were using this typical unbalanced spec and found no problem on that. I've been considering on using ddr4 stick as looking out for the ddr3l stick has gone a little harder in my place.

You can't just decide to buy DDR4 for your computer, it won't work, you need to use the RAM your system was designed to use.

If you want to add RAM to the system, add another 8 GB of the same RAM the system came with. Or try the other RAM on it's own to see if it's crashing because of the difference in the sticks.

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

so what you're trying to say is that it's impossible to add more RAM oether than HP's owm stick and it's some sort of a limit set by HP to restrain user on adding more RAM?

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I just remove the factory hdd as usual, there's no special treatment on the hard drive swap

Not just HP RAM, just the RAM you picked won't work with the system. Many 3rd parties sell RAM compatible with your laptop, and maybe some other random stick aside from the one you got may work. Curcial and Kingston I'm sure will list RAM that will work, Did you get the same speed and timings of RAM that the system already had? OEM systems are a lot more picker with what RAM will work than home built desktops made with gaming spec parts.

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

It means that I could only use any RAM sticks that has clocks and timings close to the stock one, isn't it? is it possible to modify setting on the BIOS?

Yes, for the most part, and no, you have a Dell laptop, you would not want to play with the RAM settings in the BIOS even if you had the options to, which you may not. A lot easier to just get compatible RAM than mess with settings and possible make the system not boot at all.

white_chev

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I need to confirm this, you mean:
    It's better for me if I buy a RAM which has the closest spec (clocks and timings) resemblance to the stock one.

I should not modify any BIOS setting for my system's security reason.

Mine is a HP Envy laptop, by the way, not a Dell one.

TRENDING THREADS