HP Laptop CPU fan makes a grinding noise when picked up, tilted slightly

Aligned

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
It is an HP ENVY 17t-j100 product number e1p14av (It's not touchscreen despite being advertised as being so) originally windows 8 now windows 8.1

It's been going on for about a year on and off, with no damage having been done to it

I replaced the fan with a new part with the same product number last summer (~july 2015) and noticed no damage to the fan blades despite a grinding noise, a little bit of dust but much less than my PC CPU heatsink has in it

If I lift the laptop to pick it up, it will make a grinding noise until I hold it steady, this can go on for several minutes and will make the fan either stop altogether, or stop grinding and go back to normal

Sometimes it will happen when it's flat on the desk if I accidentally drop something onto my desk

What I've noticed, is when it goes back to normal it sounds like it's spinning at a very high speed as I will hear it wind down as if it's been spinning very fast

I never run any taxing programs on it, though flash alone will overheat the laptop to above the safe temperatures on Core Temp, but not hot enough to shut down on its own

I bought the laptop sometime in 2014, it's not very old

I know it's the CPU fan, as when it stops spinning the laptop overheats and will give me a message about it not working when I turn the laptop back on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v-sralFfwc

I don't know how to embed videos, but there's the noise it makes

imilluin

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
AFAIK this is a common problems on laptops fans with low quality ball bearings. the sounds is not coming from then fan/fan blades itself but rather from the ball bearing in the fan. tilting the laptop or little shocks ( like dropping something on the laptop) will make the bearing miss-align slightly and give you this ugly noise. unfortunately there is not much you can do besides getting a better/new fan.

Aligned

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016

I replaced the fan with a new one with the same part number last summer, it quickly did the same thing, so it's not even a year into its life before it would need replacing