HP Notebook 15-an050nr: all USB ports stopped working

Feb 19, 2018
Hi,

This morning, I woke up and powered on my laptop to find that my mouse was not working. I plugged it into the 2 other USB ports with no success.

My laptop is running Windows 10 64 bit
I did some troubleshooting, here are my findings:
1. I tried the mice in another computer and it works properly so I've ruled out the mouse

2. I went into device manager, found USB Root Hub and unticked: allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. This did not solve the issue

3. Strangely, I noticed that my mouse was under the: Other devices category instead of Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I right clicked my device (USB Optical Mouse) and uninstalled the device, restarted my laptop and this did not solve the issue.

4. I tried updating my devices drivers automatically but Windows was not able to find drivers for it (Code 28).

5. I copy and pasted the hardware ID of the device (its a Logitech M100 mouse) into google trying to find a driver download but I couldn't find a link to one on the logitech website. All the search results were applications to automatically scan for driver changes.

6. I downloaded driver booster hoping that it would detect which driver I needed but a scan did not show my mouse as needing a driver.

7. I updated each driver under: Universal Serial Bus Controllers, this did not solve the issue.

8. I uninstalled each driver under: Universal Serial Bus Controllers, restarted my machine and this did not solve the issue.

9. I tried the built in windows hardware and devices troubleshooter and it did detect my mouse had missing drivers. I "applied the fix" and it instructed me to restart my computer for the changes to take affect. I did so but this did not solve the issue.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try this...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
3. Double-click on the "USB Root Hub device".
4. Now click the "Power Management" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the "OK" button.

NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer and all the ports should work now.

Feb 19, 2018
Hi Webworkings,

I've unchecked the: allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option but my issue still remains. I'm thinking it's something to do with the fact that no matter what brand of mouse I plug in (I've tried 3), they always show up in the "Other devices" category in device manager.

Feb 19, 2018

Hi Webworkings,

I've tried my Apple iPod Shuffle charger and surprisingly it works. I did some googling and I believe my iPod charger is a USB 2.0. It looks like the only only USB devices I'm having problems with are 3.0 types.

I also looked into doing a system restore but unfortunately, I don't have a restore point before the issue arose.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2018
I have an HP model 15-1271wm and have gotten the same problem twice. This time unchecking the box allowing Windows to power off the USB ports worked for me (thank you, webworkings).

When I first got the computer neither of the two left USB ports worked, but the right one did. Anything plugged into the left ports showed up as "other device" in the device manager, and none of the things you tried worked for me either. What I eventually had to do was plug something into the ports (I did a keyboard and mouse) then scanned for new hardware via the Device Manager. It found them and installed the appropriate drivers (I don't know if plugging anything in was necessary). Before doing this the USB ports showed up as generic controllers. Now I have "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller", "Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub", "USB 2.0 Hub", and "USB 3.0 Hub" after the detection and installation.

The drivers are "iusb3xhc.sys" for the controller and "iusb3hub.sys" for the other three items.

The drivers are available from Intel's site here. Make sure all of the info matches your system, though, as your computer is not exactly my computer; HP 15, but different model thereof.

Really hope this helps. I plug my laptop into a tv and use an external mouse and keyboard. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to have to have the laptop on you for a keyboard... That is, of course, if you haven't fixed it yet in the past seven months.

Best of luck, friend.