J0rdan23

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
i just bought an 11" hp notebook, with an intel braswell n3050 and 2gb system mem. im not using it for gaming or anything just literally to browse the internet, type essays, youtube and watch streams via twitch/yt. i thought it should be great considering it was only 120$ but the laptop can accomplish 0 of these things. loading up the OS takes at least 5 minutes and once your up launching any sort of program it stutters and freezes, simply loading up chrome or edge maxes the cpu to 100% ( its not maxing on ram) . it was agonizing watching it stutter its way through a youtube video in 360p, to the point where i lowered the screen resolution to 720p with no change in results. Im hoping that the cpu is simply defective because a braswell n3050 should have enough juice to browse the web. Im aware about its limitations, didn't expect to be playing any games on it thats why i have my pc, i simply wanted this notebook for light browsing and YT thats what a "notebook" is for, but it cant even do that. If this is hps end and they new it performed like this, i payed for a notebook to browse the internet shouldn't it be able to browse the internet? if any of you are familiar with these notebooks and could offer any help or suggestions please do. thanks for your time -jordan

Solution
A simple solution would be to use the edge browser as it is more lightweight. Other than that I would stop background apps running if you are running windows 10. Also make sure that the windows apps don't update automatically. The stop any programs from starting up if you can.

Other than that, there is nothing you can do apart from hardware changes.

CTurbo

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Your hard drive and memory are slowing your system down for more than your cpu.

I highly recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 4GB if not 8GB.

Swapping your hard drive for a ssd would make a HUGE difference in speed.

Of course you would have nearly doubled the cost, but it would be well more than double the speed.

unreal9400

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Try uninstalling any anti-virus such as McAfee and use the built Windows Defender instead.
Uninstall all the bloatware that came with the computer.
Upgrade the RAM to 4 GB or higher.
2GB is the bare minimum to run the OS.
I had run Windows 10 with 2GB RAM before which the laptop came with by default.
Upgrading the RAM really helps in performance and multi-tasking.
Even smartphone these days have more than 2GB of RAM.
I would definitely recommend upgrading the RAM first.

J0rdan23

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

Its a notebook Theres no "upgrading" it man and i dont need to put more money into it have a ridiculously powerful PC. Its a notebook meant for browsing but it cant even browse. and on the RAM note, it doesn't max out ram most it uses is like 1.2. And im not trying to upgrade it, im just trying to see if this is normal performance for this device or if its defective.

P.S. uninstalling all bloatware and unnecessary software was the first thing i did when i realized how weak it was. made little to no difference but thank you :)

People erroneously think browsing the web is a light task but not really. Web pages gets more complicated all the time which requires lots of "middle ware" to run in the background. If you really want light browsing, like reading text only, turn off Flash, Javascript etc. None of those flashy graphics will show, but it will speed up your "reading."

J0rdan23

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

That said, I have found that using a lighterweight browser like Firefox or Opera that's not a resource hog (like Chrome) on aforementioned Pentium M does make web browsing pretty tolerable. But with only 2 gigs of memory in that too, once it hits a RAM wall, things slow to a freaking crawl once it starts hitting the hard disk.

A simple solution would be to use the edge browser as it is more lightweight. Other than that I would stop background apps running if you are running windows 10. Also make sure that the windows apps don't update automatically. The stop any programs from starting up if you can.

Other than that, there is nothing you can do apart from hardware changes.

Solution