HP or Asus which should i get?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

If you have a restore software that came with the laptop, try a full laptop restore. If it worked out of the box, then it is probably a series of software changes that did something to affect video streaming.

If you still have problems then, it is something else, possibly hardware.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Your computer will probably have a restore partition (typically hidden when viewed from the OS). Check in the manual for your computer to see how you can access this restore feature.

Usually it is some kind of key press at BIOS POST to activate restore if there is a restore partition.

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
i did the restore i still have the issue but it's not as bad. it's just on justin.tv have no problem with other websites just living streaming on justin.tv

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Hmm, that suggests to me that it is some kind of a possible hardware issue. If you try a different router (not sure you have one for spare), or try it at another wi-fi enabled place (friend's place, etc), and see if the streaming still cuts out.

You can also try updating the wi-fi drivers. Try going to lenovo's website and navigate support to your particular model, and see if they have a newer driver for your wifi card.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Could be a wi-fi issue. Try a new wi-fi driver if there is a newer one listed on Lenovo's website.

The age of the laptop in this case may not matter. But I doubt it is a wi-fi hardware failure, I think if any thing, it might be a driver and/or router compatibility issue.

Renlar

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

The normal cpu speed for this laptop ranges from 2.2-2.3 ghz as stated in the specs when turbo is active it pulls 2.8-3.0 ghz.

As far as laptops without dedicated graphics go this one is top of the line and will play most current games comfortably on medium settings such as MW4.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Base frequency: 1900mhz, turbo active means more than base frequency. Whether or not the CPU actually spends most of its time in the 2.2-2.3 range depends on what application you are using (threading) and how well the cooling system is designed. None of that can be inferred directly from the specifications.

The proper way to indicate speeds is either a range (1.9-2.8) Ghz or as base 1.9 and turbo 2.8.

It also doesn't do 3.0 ghz unless the OEM/manufacturer tinkered with it somehow. The AMD specifications puts the speeds at 1.9 ghz base, and max turbo of 2.8 ghz, so unless you believe a few mis-advertised specifications, the CPU should be as AMD specified.

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Is there a way i can make tabs open in another window besides pressing crtl+clicking? i want to be able to do it with the buttons on my old dell b130 i could click the buttons at the same time when i wanted to open something in another tab if i clicked on a link by pressing the two buttons it would open another tab

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

You can do right click (wherever that is on your computer buttons) and open in new window. You can program a button to be the middle mouse button. Usually in some browsers like Firefox, you can use the middle mouse button (clicking down on the scroll wheel) to open a web page in a new tab.

Check with the built-in touchpad/pointing device software which is either in the program files in start menu and/or in the control panel. It will have (most often) user-assignable buttons/configurations. If you find this software, then you just program one of the buttons (if there is a middle button, then it should already be programmed as the middle mouse button) as this middle button.

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
there isn't a middle button on my old laptop i could press the left and right buttons at the same time to open a new tab and when i pressed them i could scroll move it with the touchpad

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

That sounds like a laptop/trackpad specific feature (newer multi-touch enabled trackpads have a lot of features like that you can do by using multiple fingers on the trackpad, for example). You MIGHT be able to program your new laptop (I'm assuming you are talking about your new laptop) to work like the old one. You need to access the software for the trackpad.

If you have a Lenovo, look at the user manual for the types of adjustments you can make to the pointing device(s). Or just dig around the included software. It might be still called "UltraNav" or something similar depending on the exact one you have.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I looked at the laptop specifications and the manual. It says you have 2 buttons but doesn't say anything about user programmability.

However, it does specify that the trackpad is multitouch capable, so you may be able to program gestures into it using the Touchpad driver software. You need to poke around in the Touchpad driver software to find out how and if it is possible.

PS. Your computer comes with it installed, and newest version is found here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS008702

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
when i have my adapter plugged in to charge my laptop it says plugged in not charging when i uninstall energy management it charges but when energy management is reinstalled it doesn't charge

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Probably the energy management software trying to prolong lifespan of the battery. Most lithium batteries last the longest when it is not charged to full capacity and not fully drained either. The software management MAYBE trying to accomplish that.

Test it by draining the battery to about 50%, plug in the power with the energy management software installed, see if the battery starts charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.