HP Pavilion dv4000 Ugrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmerkel88

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I received a HP Pavilion dv4000 for free and wanted to upgrade it a bit to speed it up. Its quite slow. The parts being so out of date I'm not sure which parts would help it Load OS, Log On, and Open Programs faster.

It has an Intel Celeron 1.4GHz and 512MB RAM and an 80GB HardDrive.

I can't find the socket type so I'm not sure which processor I should be looking for. As far as RAM goes I can get 2GB DDR2 667 PC5300 for around $40 (if thats compatible, specs say 333MHz), but also looking for a processor.

Any ideas or tips?

Solution
There's really not much you can do for that laptop. All components, except the ram and hdd, are soldered to the motherboard and are not user replaceable. Even if they were, the cost involved would not be reasonable. The additional ram will help some, but not a great deal.

If this is a computer that is "extra" to you, you might want to convert it and try linux. That's how I got started - took an old laptop, wiped the drive and installed ubuntu. Now I use linux almost exclusively unless there is a particular game I want to play.

Mark

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
There's really not much you can do for that laptop. All components, except the ram and hdd, are soldered to the motherboard and are not user replaceable. Even if they were, the cost involved would not be reasonable. The additional ram will help some, but not a great deal.

If this is a computer that is "extra" to you, you might want to convert it and try linux. That's how I got started - took an old laptop, wiped the drive and installed ubuntu. Now I use linux almost exclusively unless there is a particular game I want to play.

Mark

Solution

dmerkel88

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

they can solder a CPU? I was going to see if this CPU would work
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=-187&partno=RK80532PE056512&rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CPvb-9Kyn7sCFcTm7AodI1EAJw

Same socket type same FSB

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
It's not soldering in the traditional sense with an iron, etc. PC boards are "flow soldered". The components are placed on the board and the board is kinda lowered into a pool of solder. The exposed pins are soldered and the non-metallic portions of the board are unaffected.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
markwp is right here.all you can do is max out the ram (2gb 333mhz) and,if you havent already done so,install windows 7 and tweak its settings. there are some good guides out there for that.let me know and i will dig up some links.

dmerkel88

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Not sure if I want to upgrade to win7. Just kinda wanted to keep it around for convenience, and on the go. Just wish I could upgrade the CPU its so slow!. I'll just upgrade RAM I guess, and I'm sure it would help a bit right?

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

xp is faster than win7??? if you learned that from these experts you talk about i would find new "experts". while you can get by on less memory with xp it is in no way faster than 7. further to that it loses its support come april.this means no new security updates.can you say hacked? what exactly do you mean when you say xp is lower than 7?

Apr 11, 2018
What you can do is:
Upgrade the processor to an "Intel Pentium M 770 2.13GHz 2M 533MHZ FSB", and the ram to 2x 1GB PC2-6400 (800 MHz)!!
I have one myself running Zorin!
Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.