hp probook 4720s internal screen not working orange powerled instead of blue

Tinuske

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out whether i should replace the led screen and or the led cable. Is there an easy way to test a led cable? The backlight of the led screen does not come on. I get a good vision on an external screen via vga.

After not being used for about 18 months the laptop would not boot up properly and i replaced the motherboard. Now the laptop boots ,but i only get an image on an external screen. Also the powerled is orange instead of blue when i insert the charger. I tested the charger.

Kind regards,

Tijn

Solution
Are you sure it is the backlight and not the actual screen? Did you try shinning a flashlight on it, at different angles, to see if you can see anything at all (even faintly) on the screen? If you can see the desktop, then it is the backlight. If you get just black, then it isn't.

Then you would need to open it up to access the ribbon cable and see if there is any damage to it, pinched parts, bent parts of it, etc., and also try carefully disconnecting it and then reconnecting to see if it then works (it happens). If none of that fixes it, it is probably the display itself then.
Are you sure it is the backlight and not the actual screen? Did you try shinning a flashlight on it, at different angles, to see if you can see anything at all (even faintly) on the screen? If you can see the desktop, then it is the backlight. If you get just black, then it isn't.

Then you would need to open it up to access the ribbon cable and see if there is any damage to it, pinched parts, bent parts of it, etc., and also try carefully disconnecting it and then reconnecting to see if it then works (it happens). If none of that fixes it, it is probably the display itself then.

Solution