HP ProBook 640 G1 CPU & GPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Recently I got myself a HP ProBook 640 G1 with 320GB SSD, i5-4210M, 8GB DDR3 in Dual Channel and HD Graphics 4600 Graphics to use it as a very low gaming laptop as I plan to travel a lot next year. I have already tried CSGO, runs at 60fps (with vsync on because for some reason I get screen tearing if I turn it off) on medium settings and runs perfectly fine at 60fps with very minor drops to 45fps in very rare situations.

I have already tried to squeezing as much performance as I can out of it, I swapped out the 320GB HDD for 120GB SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro and I managed to overclock the HD Graphics 4600 from 1150Mhz to 1400Mhz with extra 0.050 volts, could propably push out more with a cooling pad because it will start thermal throttling after about 20 minutes of gaming but there is so much you can do with intergrated graphics.

I'm now exploring another ways to maybe get into high settings and stay at 60fps, I'm looking for maybe CPU upgrade, I seen people swapping in i7's into these laptops but heard that these laptops use two different chipsets for Dual Core and Quad Core systems. According to CPU-Z, I have HM87 which is apprently the Dual Core chipset. I'm pretty happy with RAM, it has 8GB, the graphics has 2GB and csgo uses max 4GB.

I'm also thinking about getting a external GPU, either a 1050ti or 1060, aslong the 1060 dosen't get bottlenecked. I want to use a single slot low profile card if possible along with Beast 8.0 to keep the package small.

Please let me know what I can do CPU and GPU wise and any advice you have, thanks.

Solution
I have the same laptop but with QM87 chipset that supports quad code cpu's . But the cpu upgrade is limited by its heatsink and fan , which can support upto 37w TDP cpu's . I installed i7-4800mq in it and it throttles as soon as it reaches top usage. So no use upgrading until someone finds a way to mod the heatsink and/or fan to allow this 47w TDP processor . And the motherboard does not support adding internal GPU to it.

Xenone

Commendable
May 19, 2016
You said you got the laptop to travel with, by getting a external GPU, you will need to use Ethernet because this laptop does not have express card which may be hard for you to find a hotel/motel with Ethernet.

waterbender

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
I have the same laptop but with QM87 chipset that supports quad code cpu's . But the cpu upgrade is limited by its heatsink and fan , which can support upto 37w TDP cpu's . I installed i7-4800mq in it and it throttles as soon as it reaches top usage. So no use upgrading until someone finds a way to mod the heatsink and/or fan to allow this 47w TDP processor . And the motherboard does not support adding internal GPU to it.

Solution

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Sounds great. Dont overclock your cpu just leave it stock since your next bottleneck is obviously integrated graphics.

Your model dont have expresscard slot for egpu so you need to use wifi slot, this means further modifying your laptop case.

There are guides how to use wifi slot but it wont be as easy you might encounter problems.

Do you have extra psu and what wattage it has? I would myself test it first with some cheap gpu and see how fast the port is with benchmarks. If performance is decent then go with 1050ti

Status
Not open for further replies.