Solved! HP Stream 14" Laptop - No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2018
I was trying to factory reset my laptop, but needed 5gb of space and I was deleting folders. I think I delete something I wasn't suppose to. Because once I had 5gb free space, I quickly went to restart the pc and now I have this error once I turn on the laptop.

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

P.S. I tried using the MediaCreationTool, but it said nothing was wrong with my PC. Obviously that's wrong. So how can I fix this laptop? I can't even open it up because I don't see any screws.

Coolness94

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Here are some steps to make sure your boot is working properly and correctly.

1. If your boot device came as a USB/cd when you purchased your laptop then plug it in (or insert in for cd) and start it up
1b. If you get no startup then go into your computer bios (Pressing F12 when you turn on your computer) and set the boot option to the USB/cd

2. (This one may be harder since you don't have screws) Reseat the hard drive. Sometimes pre-installed laptops' hard drive slips out of its socket once in a while. To fix this just open the bottom black plate (the smaller one usually being held by 1 or 2 screws) and push in the hard drive just a tad. Do not force it or use much force or else you might actually break the SATA connector.

3. Check to see if your Hard Drive is still working 100%, to do that, Go into BIOS (F12 on startup) and find the place where you can test your hardware (Different for all brands). Run the test and see if your hard drive is working 100%.

4. Set your hard drive as a priority boot option. Again, BIOS > Boot > (Select hard drive of choice)

5. Try to boot your pc using an external HDD/USB. Then run your troubleshooting from there. (BIOS > Boot > USB as boot priority)

If you are still having an issue then I don't know what to tell you man, maybe a broken hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.