I have a sony bdp-s1500 and am trying to connect it to an asus ve198 and the screen keeps saying no input. I connected my lap

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
I have a sony bdp-s1500 and am trying to connect it to an asus ve198 and the screen keeps saying no input. I connected my laptop to the monitor and there was no problem. I connected the bluray to my bigscreen and no problem, but whe I connect them together, no input. I'm frustrated, pleas help

Solution
No. DVI and VGA are not the same:

vga_hdmi_vdi_1.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, there are several versions of your monitor. One has one DVI and VGA. Another only has VGA. It appears yours only has VGA. You *should* be able to play regular DVD movies, but you will not be able to display Blu-Ray movies on that display.

-Wolf sends

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ashleyknox : "bluray to monitor"

I have a sony bdp-s1500 and am trying to connect it to an asus ve198 and the screen keeps saying no input. I connected my laptop to the monitor and there was no problem. I connected the bluray to my bigscreen and no problem, but whe I connect them together, no input. I'm frustrated, pleas help

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ashleyknox : "bluray to monitor"

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Vga from the monitor to a vga/hdmi adaptor and hdmi to the bluray

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

I was told that DVI was more antiquated than VGA, that's why I went that route.

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

So if I have another Blu-Ray that has a DVI port and switch them out and buy a DVI/Hdmi adapter I can watch BluRays?

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

I pulled up the specs on the monitor and it says it has vga/dvi outputs.Are vga and dvi prongs the same?

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

The specs for the monitor says that it is vga/dvi capable. However, there is only one port. hence my question: are vga and dvi cables/ports compatable? I don't mean to be a beating, but an IT guy at work said, "use a monitor for a tv, no problem." was frustrated hours ago and hours of your free time to jack with what was to be no problem. Sorry Chief, if you're ever in the Dallas area I will hook you up. Ashley

No. DVI and VGA are not the same:

vga_hdmi_vdi_1.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, there are several versions of your monitor. One has one DVI and VGA. Another only has VGA. It appears yours only has VGA. You *should* be able to play regular DVD movies, but you will not be able to display Blu-Ray movies on that display.

-Wolf sends

Solution

ashleyknox

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Last question. If I go monitor, vga, dvi, hdmi, bluray will that work?