I have a virus(or something)

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Spending money for software is out of the question. If i cant solve it through some sort of scan, or anti-virus, i will just reformat(not difficult for me). I would like to avoid that if possible, just because its time consuming to reinstall everything.

The only symptom of the virus is that links(in my browser), and sometimes when i just click anything, get redirected to other websites. Pretty typical stuff, sites that say i have a virus and offer to get it off for money or something. Sometimes random other adds.

At first it was only chrome, but i just tested firefox and its doing it also.

Only thing i have tried is malwarebytes. Every time it scans it finds new things. I dont even know it thats the right one to use, but it has worked for me in the past.

i doubt it matters but heres a link to my pc http://pcpartpicker.com/b/f47Pxr

The funny thing is that im usually really good with not getting a virus. I never use any virus protection because its usually easy for me to avoid stuff, and when i get one, i know exactly what i got it from(like a sketchy .exe). anyways this time i have no idea. the only thing to go on, is that i JUST started playing wow again, and have been installing mods through the curse CLIENT for the first time ever. on top of that, my friend(who started wow with me, and is using the client for the first time also) got the exact same virus. so i am thinking its either a mod(we use mostly the same ones) or the client itself. it could be something else though.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Solution
I think what you are asking for is real time protection, and web protection. The 3 free to use things that offer that would be bit defender free edition which offers real time protections, ADblock plus or adblock pro, then my favorite is web of trust which takes data and reviews from other websites that people have given reviews on, and will give you warnings if people have reported them for scamming,malware, or if it is something illegal. Then normally I always disable JavaScript in my web browser then slowly allow it to run on websites I use everyday. I doubt you have a virus, you just need some real time protection and something to get rid of those annoying popups and ads. As well as something to give you another layer of protection...
G

Anybody should have an anti-virus. Even the smallest of them all. Anyone who knows a bit about computers knows how to protect themselves from viruses. But you should always have a B-plan for those sneaky ones. I personally used Avast Free Antivirus. Simple, it works great and never had a problem with it. Try installing Avast, scan your PC and tell us what happens.

EDIT: You also said something about downloading Malwarebytes and the fact that it was malfunctioning.
If your virus is redirecting you, you might have downloaded fake software.

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

do you understand what that anti-virus software does?
im not talking about a scan, im talking about the always running ones.
no reason to have a program that just warns me not to do stuff i know is risky anyways.

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

sorry thats not exactly what i meant about malwarebytes. i meant that every time i do a scan, it finds a new virus and then quarantine/deletes it. next time i run there are more.

I will try avast though thanks.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

yes i know what that anti virus software does

it stops you getting viruses

you know what you do is risky--yet you do it anyway then come on here expecting help

why should we bother helping if you wont safeguard your pc?

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
[/quotemsg]

yes i know what that anti virus software does

it stops you getting viruses

you know what you do is risky--yet you do it anyway then come on here expecting help

why should we bother helping if you wont safeguard your pc?

[/quotemsg]

you dont understand what the software does. it doesn't STOP anything.

It scans your computer, checks your email(which i dont do), and simply asks you to ALLOW or NOT ALLOW tons of random things. Thats not even mentioning the vast amount of false positives on every single one i have ever tried.

if you read my post, you would see that i already ran one anti virus. IT DID NOT WORK.

Im on here asking if anyone knew a better program, or possibly one specifically for this virus im having.

I did not EXPECT anything.

And i definitely dont want help from someone who doesnt know anything.

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I think what you are asking for is real time protection, and web protection. The 3 free to use things that offer that would be bit defender free edition which offers real time protections, ADblock plus or adblock pro, then my favorite is web of trust which takes data and reviews from other websites that people have given reviews on, and will give you warnings if people have reported them for scamming,malware, or if it is something illegal. Then normally I always disable JavaScript in my web browser then slowly allow it to run on websites I use everyday. I doubt you have a virus, you just need some real time protection and something to get rid of those annoying popups and ads. As well as something to give you another layer of protection like WOT

Solution

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Thanks for the help. I am currently using adblock plus and i have java disabled. Maybe ill try one of the other two.

xacloman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Since when did amount of best solutions on toms hardware=knowledge? no that just means you chill on here trying to answer questions a lot. And I don't. lol nice try

IF YOU COULD READ you would see i made it extremely clear i didnt know which program to scan my pc with. Honestly in 11 years iv had like 5 virus(and helped with dozens more), and even if it was 20, it would be less of a pain to reformat every time, then to have an ALWAYS RUNNING antivirus. Things like norton and avg are a pain in the rear, dont stop every virus, and without them, i get a virus less then one every two years.

ALSO, most of the time, there is one program that does a better job of removing them, and it is literally faster to just find that one currently, and do the fix then, which is what im doing now.

If you dont agree with me, you can move on to another thread. Genius.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Go to emsisoft and find their EmsiSoft Emergency Kit (EEK)...

If malware keeps springing back to life, might want to consider Kasperky's TDDSS rootkit scanner beforehand....

(As for live protection, so far I've been happy with 360 TS in conjunction with Personal Firewall 7.0, but, I absolutely don't mind the occasional popups regarding 'allow/block/trust this publisher', etc......)

Malwarebytes AM and Hitman Pro are two of the most prolific scanners, but, most famous for finding/clearing things that have already gotten thru your defenses, unfortunately...