Question I have some questions about laptop LCD cables.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
First, for some background, I'll copy my message from a different forum here. That will make my reasons for the questions clearer:

"My laptop's screen won't turn on while the laptop itself does.

I don't know how relevent it is, but my model is a toshiba qosmio.

It started when a portion of my laptop broke. It was only the bottom right, however, and it merely made it difficult to open and close the laptop in that its metalic base was not in its proper place on one side. A few days following my laptop suddenly shut off when I slightly moved it. I don't recall if the entire laptop shut down or only the screen

This happened a few more times. One time the screen displayed a strange image somewhat like how a T.V might show when there's no signal or has something wrong with it. It was either after that or soon after that it would not turn back on no matter what I tried.

I had it sent to be repaired. It appears that the display works when connected to an external monitor. However, when the laptop's monitor was replaced by another it still would not function. At the moment I have to wait several weeks for a new cable to be tested.

Are there any suggestions as to what the issue might be and how to best repair it?

Edit: I'm not entirely certain if the break in its frame is related to its subsequent state of disrepair. "

Now for my questions:

1. Can a laptop LCD cable be replaced with another if the models don't match (One is a Toshiba Satellite, the other is a Toshiba Qosmio), but their serial numbers do? The number 6017B0495001 is written on both, although the number sequences beneath it aren't identical. Is there a possibility it won't work?

2. Can such a cable be replaced if the serial numbers are not identical? Is such a thing at all possible?

3. Can you think of any other reasons my laptop's screen would not turn on given the above information?

First, please do not add huge text to threads. We can all read the texts just fine and huge text won't get you more help.

Second, If it worked on an external monitor and that monitor was using the same graphics on the laptop, then the display or the display cable would be the likely culprit. Since you say the display was changed and it still doesn't work, then the cable is the likely cause.

It is, however less common, possible that the location where it connects to the motherboard is damaged and that is the problem. In such a case then the motherboard may need replacing.

Now if the monitor was using different graphics than the attached display, you could then have a GPU problem.

As to your numbered questions...

1. No. You need to replace it with the correct model. Different ones, different specs.

2. Same answer as number one. It needs to be the correct part.

3. See all info given above. :)

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
1. No. You need to replace it with the correct model. Different ones, different specs.

2. Same answer as number one. It needs to be the correct part.

3. See all info given above. :)

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that cables that share the same serial number are identical in shape.
Do you have a source for this information regarding cables and the necessity for the model to be exactly the same? Do you have any experience with LCD cable serial numbers?

Edit: It also seems to fit this model:
Toshiba Qosmio X70-B-10T which is very similar to my model ( Qosmio X70-B-102)

https://picclick.co.uk/Toshiba-Qosmio-X70-B-10T-Satellite-S75-S75-B-LED-LCD-183685927762.html

Last edited:
Depending on where the part is coming from, if it is an aftermarket part, it is completely possible that the same part number will be listed on it that isn't for the right part. Happens more than you might think.

You need to match up the part you are replacing with the part you have. If they are the same, great, if not, then you need to find a different source. Sadly that manufacturer is not great at listing parts.

Depending on where the part is coming from, if it is an aftermarket part, it is completely possible that the same part number will be listed on it that isn't for the right part. Happens more than you might think.

You need to match up the part you are replacing with the part you have. If they are the same, great, if not, then you need to find a different source. Sadly that manufacturer is not great at listing parts.

As to experience, I am pretty sure my time and assistance on this site speaks for itself. :)

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
As to experience, I am pretty sure my time and assistance on this site speaks for itself. :)

It really doesn't. It gives me very little indication as to what you know about the specific thing I'm asking about, if anything. Serial numbers for LCD cables is a very obscure idea. Besides, you started off with telling me that it definitively won't fit, and now you're saying it is merely possible that it will not. Had I gone by your first answer I might have dismissed the cable entirely.

Aftermarket parts are made by other companies. Aftermarket is different than OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

You stated that the part was from another device. Different devices have different parts. The part number, on an OEM part would show for sure if it was the same. However manufacturers are not known for using the same part for different devices. They don't want people swapping them. So it isn't common to find the same part. Now an aftermarket part having the same number, as I stated before, is no guaranty that it is the same part.

I have given you all the info I can on the parts and the way they work. Anyone else here I am sure would give you the same info. What you do with that info is totally up to you.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
Aftermarket parts are made by other companies. Aftermarket is different than OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

You stated that the part was from another device. Different devices have different parts. The part number, on an OEM part would show for sure if it was the same. However manufacturers are not known for using the same part for different devices. They don't want people swapping them. So it isn't common to find the same part. Now an aftermarket part having the same number, as I stated before, is no guaranty that it is the same part.

Is there someway to know whether the part is original or aftermarket?

Also, have you ever come across an aftermarket part having the same number as an original part yet being a mismatch? It strikes me as odd that the same number would be chosen when it would not fit, and I doubt such a thing would happen by coincidence.

Suppose this cable doesn't fit after all, do you have a guess as to where to look for an exact match for my Qosmio X70-B-102 PSPPNE 03W00CH2?
I have pretty much scoured google with that model number and its variations, yet I cannot find anything else.

The part should have distinguishing marks/name/info on it if it is the original parts. You can check it against what is in your device.

Yes I have come across aftermarket parts having the same part number and not being the same part. While it isn't all the time, it does happen. And they often say a part works with certain devices and then turns out it doesn't. So it is better to be sure.

Sadly some parts are harder to find than others. You can try contacting the manufacturer directly for info on where to get the part, consider a search for a used version of that device and strip it for parts (if cheap enough) or check with a local tech who may either have the part or have a good source.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
Now if the monitor was using different graphics than the attached display, you could then have a GPU problem.

Well, the cable has been replaced and appears to fit the laptop. The display still won't function. The technition believes the issue is the video card. Apparently, my laptop has two of them (One is a AMD Radeon R9 and the other is an Intel HD Graphics 4600).

He says that the Radeon card must be responsible for the display and is damaged, though he's only reached this conclusion by eliminating the other possible issues.

Is there some way for me to confirm that this is in fact the problem? Can he be mistaken about which card is the bad one? Is there a way to somehow make it so that the functioning card will be responsible for the display? If it must be repaired, how much should such a thing cost?

You said originally it works when attached to an external monitor. Re-attach that monitor and check the settings for your graphics in Windows. See which one it is using when using the external monitor.

If the external says it is using the Integrated graphics (Intel) then try switching to the AMD and see what happens. If it shows up fine on the external monitor after switching to using the AMD, or if it is already using the AMD, then they are incorrect and it isn't the GPU.

However, if it doesn't work on the external monitor, when the AMD is chosen as the graphics, then the GPU could be the cause.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
You said originally it works when attached to an external monitor. Re-attach that monitor and check the settings for your graphics in Windows. See which one it is using when using the external monitor.

If the external says it is using the Integrated graphics (Intel) then try switching to the AMD and see what happens. If it shows up fine on the external monitor after switching to using the AMD, or if it is already using the AMD, then they are incorrect and it isn't the GPU.

However, if it doesn't work on the external monitor, when the AMD is chosen as the graphics, then the GPU could be the cause.

Is there an easy way to restore the previous setting if my AMD doesn't work? I'm reluctant to switch off my external monitor without having a way to activate it again. Also, I'd like you to be more specific. Which setting do I go to exactly? What process do I follow to reach it?

Also, is it still a possibility that the cable didn't truly fit the laptop despite fitting it physically and having the same number? I'm still not sure what marks I would look for to find out whether it's an afterpart.

Last edited:
This isn't a setting. If the GPU is damaged then you can't reset it. It would need replacing.

The only thing you need to do is reconnect the external monitor and see then what GPU is being used for it. If it says that the AMD is being used, then you know it isn't the problem. If, however, the computer says it is using the integrated graphics (Intel) then you have two options. Either try changing it over to see if the problem occurs on the external monitor or just take it to someone to have it fixed. There is no other way to do it.

The name of the company you bought it from, and the name of the manufacturer of the part would tell you if it is aftermarket or not.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
This isn't a setting. If the GPU is damaged then you can't reset it. It would need replacing.

The only thing you need to do is reconnect the external monitor and see then what GPU is being used for it. If it says that the AMD is being used, then you know it isn't the problem. If, however, the computer says it is using the integrated graphics (Intel) then you have two options. Either try changing it over to see if the problem occurs on the external monitor or just take it to someone to have it fixed. There is no other way to do it.

The problem is that I'm unsure of how to determine which one is being used or how to change it should I have the option. The device manager displays both for what it's worth.

How do I access this information?

The person I bought the cable from has informed me it is a geniune part, so that seems off the table, at least.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
Try going to "Start" and then in the search box type "dxdiag " (without the quotes).

In there go to the "Display" tab of whichever monitor you want to determine is driven by whatever graphics card.

I've had the laptop sent to another place. They're trying to determine if the new cable is appropriate for my laptop, among other things. Do you know if the fact that its camera works means that it's necessarily compatible with my laptop?*

*The previous cable's camera worked also, but for all I knew its connector to the screen might have been faulty somehow. This is another matter, that of compatibility.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
There is no way to tell just by the camera.

So...it appears the problem has been fixed. I had it sent to repair and the issue was that there was no power supply to the screen. It was possibly caused by a faulty cable, or so I was told. (The cable that was replaced. I guess it might have done some interior damage somehow.)

I have a new concern though. There's apparently a crack in my screen now. I need to purchase a new one. Do you know if the rev.c1/2/3 matters when buying a new laptop screen? My model is N173HGE E21 REV.C2