I just purchased the CANON ZR50 Digital MiniDV Camcorder

webdevii

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I noticed it does have a MMC / SD card slot is this card for recording Video or just stills and if it will record video is it compatible with the slots on the newer pc's or on the USB multi format card readers. Next does this camera support the USB interface to connect to the computer to transfer the video from the camera to the PC or can I just remove the MMC / SD Card out and insert it into the PC via the PC Slot or a multi format USB Card Reader. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all in advance for any help in this department

Warm Regards
Dev

Solution
I looked at the manual and the answer to the USB question is no. You can't transfer video from that camcorder to the computer via a USB connection. You can connect to the computer using a DV (firewire) cable - see p. 102 of the manual. If you computer does not have a Firewire port you could either add a Firewire card or get a converter to go between the camcorder and the computer and use the analog out (STV Stereo Video cable). As far as the memory card goes it appears as though it can only be used to store still images - see p. 103. Instructions for dubbing and editing start on p. 87.

webdevii

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah I am under the proverbial FireWire incompatibility between windows 7 and FW devices so I am screwed there although I do greatly appreciate your information and answer to my question. Maybe do you have any other solutions to my issue? in other words any other way to get what is recorded on either the MMC card or Mini DV tape to my PC via some sort of adapter or interface?

Thank you very much again for all your help
Regards
Dev

webdevii

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Yes Manual is there except he doesnt give anything other than I already have experienced. I was hoping for some sort of work around since FW and Windows 7 are not compatible i any way shape or form. I am very much a newbie when it comes to Cam Corders and what not, I am proficient with the Go-Pros and such but not the expensive professional models like what I am using. I can not believe there is such a bottleneck when it comes to this. but it is what it is I guess. any other Ideas you could offer would be nice
Thank you again
Dev

I'm not sure I understand the "FireWire incompatibility between windows 7 and FW devices" as I have more than one FireWire camcorder that I am able to connect via FireWire to a Windows 7 PC. However, there is alternative. First with the MMC card I believe you are able to transfer pictures via a USB cable. The MiniDV tape capture could be done using something like this http://www.amazon.com/ION-Video-Analog-Digital-Converter/dp/B002MT7JFQ or this http://www.walmart.com/ip/SIIG-JU-AV0211-S1-USB-2.0-Video-Capture-Adapter/22086479

Solution