I need a new AV Receiver. I want HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 at a minimum. Suggestions?

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010
After many years, my Yamaha amplifier is finally beginning to fail. It is a 115 watt per channel unit . So I want something with similar power (95 -120 watts) to power my current speakers.

I haven't paid that much attention to audio equipment for a while. I do know that at least until recently the AV receivers have not had the best sound reputation. I have been looking at the Yamaha Aventage series of AV receivers, and they do seem to be a good choice. The RX-A750 & RX-A850 (RX-A1050 on sale maybe) are my choices so far.

My problem is that my budget is limited. I would like to keep it in the $500 - $1000 range. Most of the better reviewed receivers seem to be well over my limit. Plus some brands do seem to have reliability issues (Onkyo & HDMI boards for example).

So are there any good suggestions for my new AV receiver?

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010
No, I haven't posted the question anywhere else. This is the forum I spend most of my time on. I was reading an article on AV receivers recently where the author mentioned that the new receivers are now basically computers (dedicated). And it is true. If you look at the interior of the new receivers , literally everything is mounted on PCB's very much like computers. There are now stacks of circuit boards. The DAC's, amplifiers, and processors are all mounted on boards.

But back to your question, I have just come to the decision this week that my amplifier has to be replaced. But I will look into AVSForum.com.