I need a TV mostly for playing movies from USB stick, confused!?

robodelfy

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hi

I'm trying to help my mu buy a TV, and it's a real minefield, there are so many! I was hoping someone could help me narrow it down...

I don't need 4k, but would like 1080 FHD

It will be used 95% of the time for playing movies off a USB stick or HDD, so it needs a USB socket and preferably decent support for various codecs.

I think the size would be ideal somewhere between 32 and 43 inches.

Obviously picture and sound quality is important, but we are also looking for a more budget TV as we don't watch it a lot.

Any ideas? Can you get simple or cheaper monitors that play things of USB sticks?

Thanks

Solution
I think that Roku players can play USB sticks. So, a good TV like an great but affordable Visio TV and a Roku player that has the USB ports. It has a media streamer, which is what you require. No TV will have that native I don't think

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
I think that Roku players can play USB sticks. So, a good TV like an great but affordable Visio TV and a Roku player that has the USB ports. It has a media streamer, which is what you require. No TV will have that native I don't think

Solution

robodelfy

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Yeah I've used a few TV's that have a usb slot, some of them seems o be better at playing various file formats.

Im looking for some advice on maybe some of the better TV brands, and any models that people might recommend matching my requirements?

phaelax

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
No TV will have that native I don't think
It's common on modern tvs. The supported formats are the bigger issue.

My tv plays all my movies from my NAS through a vlc app on the tv, but I haven't tried off a usb stick yet. It's also 4k and probably more money than you want to spend. You have a price range?

Look into TCL tvs. For the price I think you'll get a pretty darn good picture. They do have a USB port, but I don't know about playing movies from them. I'd assume yes but couldn't make a definite claim on support without researching it.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014

that is what I said in first post... lol
smart tvs are dumb tvs and they all suck. their performance online blows and they are hackable beyond all imagination. I don't EVER even hook the wiretap up to ethernet or wifi

get the nicest Roku you can and use it.
Roku is a LOT less expensive than a new TV

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-streaming-Enhanced-headphone/dp/B075XMZMWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531763139&sr=8-1&keywords=roku+streamer+usb