I Need Help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

About every few times i click a link, it brings me to a page that says, " Your pc has detected to viruses...." It gives me a number to call, and some other information. It is usually a red screen. I don't know for sure what it is, or how to get rid of it, but I know its fake and someone out there is trying to do something. How do I get rid of this? It also might have generated from click a fake "x" on ads.

The viruses it mentioned were something along the line of rootkit. and trojan. If anyone has a solution please help me out.

Edit:

This is what I keep seeing.

WARNING!
YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE AT RISK:
888-640-2911
For emergency Tech Support call immediately
The system may have found (2) viruses that pose a serious threat
Rootkit.Sirefef.Spy ./ Trojan.FakeAV-Download
Your personal and financial information
may not be secured.
Call us now for support
888-640-2911

daswilhelm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
ok, well finish this scan, (don't open any other programs while doing so). if that doesnt clean them out, reboot into safe mode, and run a scan from there.

also, did you update the definitions on malwarebytes before scanning?

G

Yes I believe I did so. I did to updates after rebooting. one with browsers open, and one with everything closed. zero threats were detected. Also sorry for my grammar mistakes. I'm just hurrying to get rid of this stuff.

G

Before reboot 30 threats. than 2 scans after reboot 0 threats. and I have not found a warning yet. it doesn happen on every link I click on. its almost like its random. like it will be something along every 5 to ten links or sites I visit.

daswilhelm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
ok, i have to run out for a bit so i won't respond until later, but...

sounds like we are headed in the right direction.

first thing, stop using internet explorer, stick with chrome.

as far as the popups in chrome, you will now want to reset chrome to factory defaults... follow this guide.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

you can also reset IE by going to control panel, and internet options, but i recommend not using IE at all.

let me know how that chrome reset works.

G

Ok. thanks. and I heard about a major explorer threat that recently popped up so I have been trying to stick with chrome.

G

So i am in chrome and it just happened again. so i went to tomshardware. clicked on forums>tutorial. and in another tab a "DriverUpdate" site pulled up. at the bottom there was a pop up that said "This content requires Media Player update 12.2. would you like to install it now?" than this is what i think screwed me up a long time ago. it says "yes" "no" and that it has a fake "x". it then has a real x of to the side.

Than furthermore, under tomshardware of to the side, there is a popup that reads "Error. A media Player update...." and it is almost the same pop up.

G

another thing is sometimes what will happen, although it is a rare occurence, is it will claim it is from another website. for example. i was strolling through pages on a forum. i went to the bottom of the page and clicked next. it opened up another tab, a window popped up that said "you have been selected to participate in a survey for tomshardware.com. Please click here to clame your prize.... and it had a cellphone ring to it. I don't know if you have heard this before or seen it but i hope it helps

G

Well another site opened in another window. it was the same thing as i put in the original thread. but the website was cputasks dot com

G

Check this article out. This is exactly what i am dealing with. So i downloaded the scanner here and it crashed after i got to malicious extentions part of scan.

G

Ok so i found the solution. I just reset my PC to factory settings, saved important files, and put them back on the laptop. When all was done, I re-scanned my PC and it is running like it was new. It is fast, fluid, and no threats were found. Although Malwarebytes was very helpful, it never picked up on the things that Anvi Smart Defender did. For anyone having similar problems or anything severe, I strongly recommend scanning with Anvi Smart Defender, and if it does not work, save important files and restart your PC. Also never download something with extra add-on's or things that are not from the original site. Thanks
everyone for helping.