I need something powerful, lightweight and awesome.

Bazatt

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
I'm looking for a new laptop for next year and I am looking very seriously at the Dell XPS 15, the MacBook Pro (Retina) and the yet-to-be-released Dell Precision M3800. I am currently studying engineering but also do some film making as a bit of hobby. Currently for class I use programs such as MATLAB, Solidworks 2012, Autodesk Inventor Pro etc. I also then use Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop etc. I also want something lightweight that I can carry around with me. I also consider a good screen to be essential. Which of these three would you choose and if you have any other ideas what are they? I don't want to spend more than $2500. Thanks - Matt.

Solution
The XPS 15 has antenna and throttling issues so I would disregard that right out of the gate (unless you want to wait and see what the upcoming haswell model reviews like). I can't imagine recommending a MacBook for an engineering student (even though you do Adobe Premier, After Effects, and Photoshop as well). So in addition to the precision line which is more suited to your needs, you might also consider a Lenovo W530. Having the certified drivers for the engineering applications would be a top priority if it was me.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
The XPS 15 has antenna and throttling issues so I would disregard that right out of the gate (unless you want to wait and see what the upcoming haswell model reviews like). I can't imagine recommending a MacBook for an engineering student (even though you do Adobe Premier, After Effects, and Photoshop as well). So in addition to the precision line which is more suited to your needs, you might also consider a Lenovo W530. Having the certified drivers for the engineering applications would be a top priority if it was me.

Solution

djoss

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
The Thinkpad W series is indeed a solid choice for CAD and other engineering applications, although it is a bit bulky/heavy. You may also want to consider the Thinkpad T series.

$2500 is way overkill for your needs IMO. You definitely have a lot of options in the $1500 and under range. Try exploring different companies' business line of laptops, which are better-built and better-performing than the corresponding consumer line in general. Try to get a workstation-type GPU (e.g. the Quadro K2000).