I need to press the power button multiple times to boot my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitto9

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
My Asus laptop does not start on a single button press when it is on battery, however when it is plugged in it boots normally with a single button press,after it boots it works perfectly normal but after I shut it down if I listen closely there is a faint very less audible repetitive short burst of high frequency noise for very long time even after its completely shut down

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving he issue.
- Start by testing if the battery is still working properly.
- Disconnect the battery and boot it up with just its AC adapter and see if it would stay on.
- If it does stay on that means the battery is faulty already.
- If it does shut down by itself with just the AC adapter that means the problem lies inside the laptop itself.
- You may need to test the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try another AC adapter if it would stay on or not.
- If all these will not work then the problem lies inside the laptop and a repair is needed.

Hitto9

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

Hello Laptop_nerd
thank you for your reply
I tried the steps mentioned by you and it works normally on ac adaptor and battery, my issue is that when it's on battery when I press the power button it does not start on a single press of the button where as when it's on ac adaptor it turns on instantly when I press the power button . I also observed that after removing the battery, booting with ac adaptor after i shutdown, when I slide the battery back in the laptop it starts by itself

Rudy__

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi hitto9,
I got the same exact problem with you. Mine is Asus X550JX.
It took me multiple times to press the power button before my laptop boot itself, while it works just fine if it is plugged in.
Searching in the google for solution yields nothing and finally I found someone who got the same problem too.
Please let me know if you already know the solution. Thank you very much.

Hitto9

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

Hello Rudy
I haven't found a solution yet

Cosmin_7

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I have the very same problems you described on an Asus X550JX-XX130D. So, I took it to an Asus authorized service, and they thought it was the motherboard, so they changed it. But guess what, the problems are still there and they told me that the "starting up by itself" thing it's from the laptop design. So, I'm guessing the problems could be from the design of this notebook(which i consider less probable), but it could also come from the bios version. What do you think?

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Bro I think this x550jx has a serious problem of this kind. Mine also has same problem of pressing power buttons multiple times to boot up and a continuous beep after shutting down. I wanna know that in your case does beep continuous even after plugging the battery to charger, because in my case beep stops when laptop is off and I plug it to charging.

Ferrobolt

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I have the same problem on Asus R510JX (Its similar to 550JX). I've found the laptop doesn't start with multiple power button presses; rather, it starts after a few seconds of opening the lid. That is, you can start it up in a single button press after a few seconds of opening the lid, which varies, but plugging the laptop in starts it up immediately with a single press.
So all I found that there is a delay after opening the lid, and number of button presses doesn't matter. Once that delay, whatever its for, is over then the laptop boots up with a single button press. No delay if power cable is connected though.

shivammangla

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Yes bro same problem of multiple pressing. I wanna know about beep. Is their any beep after shut down of laptop. My laptop has another problem of doing beep when off and not connected to charger. Did u placed a service request ??

Ferrobolt

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

No there is no such beep in mine. Like I said, sometimes I don't need to press the button multiple times at all. Sometimes it just works with a single press.

I saw a thread explaining why pressing and holding the power button after removing battery and adaptor works if the computer is not turning on. The answer is rather lengthy, in summary it says that sometimes static charge remains on the motherboard and that's what prevents it from booting up - the motherboard refuses to boot up to prevent damage. This happens more in cases where there are some miniature circuits that always stay on. Pressing and holding the power button shorts out the circuit or something and dissipates that accumulated charge.

I guess our laptops have the problem of accumulating static charge. Pressing the power button multiple times dissipates it and then our laptops start. From what we know, this isn't a problem of the power button, nor its a BIOS problem.

If anyone can support this assumption, or if its incorrect, tell my why, it will be highly appreciated.

See this link please: http://superuser.com/questions/283109/why-does-pulling-the-power-cord-then-pressing-the-power-button-fix-a-non-booting

Status
Not open for further replies.