I think my Nvidia GPU is damaged.... Nvidia GeForce820m (Will exlpain further with pictures)

fuadhirwan

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hello every wonderful person reading this thread. I'm quite new here but I do have a question that needs to be answered since a looooong time ago. Anyways, going straight to the point. As stated in the title I think my nvidia graphics card is damaged. It has some static and squiggly lines on the preview on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Here is a link to a picture of the preview on the Nvidia Control Panel:
http://imgur.com/a/fDCxt

When just using my laptop normally, for example browsing the internet, searching for files, etc. Its perfectly fine, my graphics is absolutely fine. But the screen as seen in the preview above only happens when I play video games on my laptop using my Nvidia GeForce 820m. So I had to just switch my GPU into my built-in Intel Integrated Graphics through the device manager, which was fine when playing both video games and browsing, etc. I know its my graphics card because when I switch it to my Intel as stated previously, it was perfectly fine but when I switch it back to my Nvidia the screen just becomes like that as seen in the preview. And I know I can just use my intel graphics but I honestly want to try and fix my graphics card.

I've been tying to solve this problem for at least 7 months now and still no answer to it. It seems that nobody has the same problem as me. I've been searching numerous articles, websites and even YouTube videos just to solve the problem but still nothing. So I hope you, who are reading this, can help me fix this on-going, almost-a-year-problem.

If you guys have any questions about my laptop and/or graphics card feel free to ask. But that is all I'm going to say since that is the main problem that I have. :D

Thanks in advance,
Fuad

Solution
Lots of people have artifacts with a failing video card, you should have found plenty of very similar issues online. There is no fix unless the issue is only caused by too much heat. You can try taking the system apart, cleaning it out and re-applying the heatsink with new thermal paste. If the temps on the system are fine, if the card is seated in an MXM slot and is removable, you can try to buy a new one. If not, it's a new motherboard.
Lots of people have artifacts with a failing video card, you should have found plenty of very similar issues online. There is no fix unless the issue is only caused by too much heat. You can try taking the system apart, cleaning it out and re-applying the heatsink with new thermal paste. If the temps on the system are fine, if the card is seated in an MXM slot and is removable, you can try to buy a new one. If not, it's a new motherboard.

Solution