I updated toshiba satellite, now will not allow me to logon

chlochops

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
Hi there, I did an update on my Toshiba satellite and now it won't even let me log on. When I turn it on, it just brings up an error message 'Install Windows - the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart computer, and then restart the installation."
When I click OK it just comes up with the same error message.

Can anyone help?

Solution
Hi,

Please do try this troubleshooting steps:

- First, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug just the AC adapter then boot it up.
- Next is to try the steps that I got from Microsoft support site:
1. On the error message screen press SHIFT + F10 at the same time and it should bring up Command Prompt.
2. Type "regedit" and press enter.
3. Once Registry Editor is open please browse to HKLocalmachine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion
4. Highlight childcompletion on the right hand side and check for "setup.exe"
5. If the value is 1 change it to 3. (dounle clicking on setup.exe will let you change the value) then click OK.
6. Click OK for the error and the computer should restart and...
Hi,

Please do try this troubleshooting steps:

- First, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug just the AC adapter then boot it up.
- Next is to try the steps that I got from Microsoft support site:
1. On the error message screen press SHIFT + F10 at the same time and it should bring up Command Prompt.
2. Type "regedit" and press enter.
3. Once Registry Editor is open please browse to HKLocalmachine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion
4. Highlight childcompletion on the right hand side and check for "setup.exe"
5. If the value is 1 change it to 3. (dounle clicking on setup.exe will let you change the value) then click OK.
6. Click OK for the error and the computer should restart and the installation should continue.

Solution

chlochops

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
Thank you, this has taken the error message away but is just now restarting over and over again and says that it's 64% through installing windows. It doesn't seem to get past 64%..

Is this something that I just need to keep running?

Thanks so much for helping with this.