C-userT_T

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hi,
I have an old Pentium E6700 (3GB RAM) using it basically for web browsing as well as making digital works with Photoshop.
I thought it's time for me to move from desktop to laptop. I have my eyes on a low budget i3-6100u (4GB RAM) I may upgrade it to 8GB. No SSD.

Would an Intel Core i3-6100U 2.3Ghz be a good replacement for an old Intel Pentium E6700 3.2Ghz?
And will I feel double boost while multitasking between web-browsing and photoshopping?

Solution

The reason why your old desktop's CPU is running at 100% while playing 4k videos is because the graphics card / integrated graphics in that desktop is very old and has not been designed to decode 4k video (which did not exist back then). When that happens, the decoding gets assigned to the CPU.

I recommend you buy laptop with a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Core i3-7100u CPU with the Intel HD 620 the video decoders for 4k video...

C-userT_T

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Thanks for the answer.

I got one more question before the purchase. My actual PC lag a lot while running 4K videos and the CPU is used at 100%.
Do you suppose I can watch/play short (3~5 min) 4K videos (3840x2160 @59~60 fps) from my HDD without lagging/freezing screen on the new i3-6100u? (and I hope it doesn't reach 100% CPU usage).

KittyFish62

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I'm not sure if it will be able to play 4k videos at all, since I just looked at the specs of it and it only has 4gb of ram and it only uses integrated graphics, so you might have to upgrade the ram, but intstead of upgrading the ram I would just get a different laptop. It's better to get a $600-$800 laptop than to have to deal with the troubles of a $400 one.

The reason why your old desktop's CPU is running at 100% while playing 4k videos is because the graphics card / integrated graphics in that desktop is very old and has not been designed to decode 4k video (which did not exist back then). When that happens, the decoding gets assigned to the CPU.

I recommend you buy laptop with a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Core i3-7100u CPU with the Intel HD 620 the video decoders for 4k video playback. The following Acer laptop has the i3-7100u and a 1080p screen for $350.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B06W58VPQC

Here's a review:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-aspire-e-15-e5-575-33bm

The following video demonstrates a pretty demanding 4k video (uses H.265 HEVC video codec) that is played back on a 6th gen (Skylake) Intel CPU with the Intel HD 520 graphics core, and a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) intel CPU with the Intel HD 620 graphics core. The difference in performance is rather dramatic. Note that not this is not a "typical" 4k video, but rather it represents one of the more demanding types (in terms of playback) of 4k video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI-a4WZWwZc

Solution

C-userT_T

Prominent
May 8, 2017

$600~800 is too much over my actual budget. if I had the money I would gladly aim for a Quadcore CPU with an HQ suffix but unfortunately that's not the case. The Lenovo is around $290 without upgrades.
Thanks for the help. I will look further and see what I can get or may consider saving more for better options.

C-userT_T

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't thought that my old integrated graphic would be the reason and thought it was only the weak old CPU related.

The Acer with FHD screen you recommended sounds like a good deal especially that it is cheap.
According to the 4k video I think I will reconsider buying a Skylake.
I will look more into the Acer laptop review then see if I can get it.
Thank you for the help. :)