Icons at bottom of screen and sides of screen won't show on Vizio 32" hdtv with HDMI from laptop

Kathib

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Hooked my HP laptop with WIN 8 to my Vizio 32" hdtv and duplicated the screen. The problem I'm having is that the icons at the bottom of the screen aren't showing and the sides of the screen run off and aren't showing full sentences. I can't scroll and beginning and end of sentences aren't showing on the hdtv display. How can I fix this issue?

Solution
All TVs overscan the video so you don't see unused pixels at the extremes of the screen. Computer monitors don't do this since it's assumed you need the entire screen area.
Your TV may have a menu setting to fix this (sometimes called 1:1). Some laptops offer adjustments in the video control panel to help this too.
I would suggest that you set the TV as a second screen and make any adjustments to it so you won't mess up the settings for the built in display. Your built in display stays the same and you can open programs on the TV and size the window to fit without overscan.
All TVs overscan the video so you don't see unused pixels at the extremes of the screen. Computer monitors don't do this since it's assumed you need the entire screen area.
Your TV may have a menu setting to fix this (sometimes called 1:1). Some laptops offer adjustments in the video control panel to help this too.
I would suggest that you set the TV as a second screen and make any adjustments to it so you won't mess up the settings for the built in display. Your built in display stays the same and you can open programs on the TV and size the window to fit without overscan.

Solution