iMac 2012 (thick) Fan Noise

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
hello

i have an old iMac 2012, the thick one with the optical drive and NOT the new slim one. i want to upgrade to a new ssd or hdd but i came across a bunch of readings that if you change it, the fan noise will max out or turn at high rpms and therefore becomes noisy. i was wondering what i could do to get around this. what are my options?

and if i were to upgrade to an ssd, where could i find a bracket for the 2.5inch ssd to fit onto the 3.5inch bay?

Thanks!

Solution
Swapping the HDD for another HDD or SSD should not cause the condition you mention. That condition is a function of the Mac's diagnostic system and can be controlled via the Mac's diagnostics programs (older models actually had a diagnostic disk you booted separately to manage this).

In your case, this should not be an issue. Swap to your heart's content.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Swapping the HDD for another HDD or SSD should not cause the condition you mention. That condition is a function of the Mac's diagnostic system and can be controlled via the Mac's diagnostics programs (older models actually had a diagnostic disk you booted separately to manage this).

In your case, this should not be an issue. Swap to your heart's content.

Solution

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

hello COLGeek.

sorry, i have mistaken the model and it turns out to be a mid 2010 27inch model (A1312/EMC2390). will i still have the problem of the fan reaching high rpms if i switch out the HDD?

And also if i were to install an ssd, is there a bracket to buy or just double sided sticky tape the ssd to the back of the imac?

Thanks!