Solved! Increase battery life

tofayel521

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hi,
I have a laptop which configuration is Asus G73JH Intel Core i7-720QM processor, 17.3" screen but their was a problem regarding charged and discharged within very short time. I have changed my battery but That problem has arisen again.I just would like to know how can I increase my battery life?

Thanks,

Solution
If this is a new laptop to you, and you didn't used to get a lot more life out of it than it's giving you, see COLGeek's comment -- powerful laptops just have bad battery life.

However, if it's claiming to charge to full very quickly, then runs out of juice very quickly, it may be something wrong with the charge detection function of the laptop. I would google the heck of of it and see if others have had similar problems with that model.

Something that I've seen happen, years ago, was a bug introduced in a BIOS upgrade that messed with the charge detection, so the laptop would say it was done charging when it was really only 25% or so done... the symptoms were pretty much the same as what you're reporting (if I understand your post...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Short of dimming your display, stopping your HDD from spinning when not in use, and slowing down the processor (Speedstep does this for you already) you really can't do much. You have a high performance system and it just uses a lot of power, much like my very similar Alienware M15x.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If this is a new laptop to you, and you didn't used to get a lot more life out of it than it's giving you, see COLGeek's comment -- powerful laptops just have bad battery life.

However, if it's claiming to charge to full very quickly, then runs out of juice very quickly, it may be something wrong with the charge detection function of the laptop. I would google the heck of of it and see if others have had similar problems with that model.

Something that I've seen happen, years ago, was a bug introduced in a BIOS upgrade that messed with the charge detection, so the laptop would say it was done charging when it was really only 25% or so done... the symptoms were pretty much the same as what you're reporting (if I understand your post correctly). Things are a bit tricky here since you also have to deal with firmware in "smart" batteries now, but since you already tried switching batteries, that's probably not the issue.

You might see if there's a different BIOS version available from ASUS that you could flash too (even if it's an older one), and see if the charging/discharging problem goes away (as much as it will with a gaming laptop). Google the heck out of it, and send an inquiry to ASUS first, they may be able to set you straight without any unnecessary BIOS flashing.

Solution

mark303

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Check out with the supplier for adapter and the cable...those things can make a problem...
Still laptops like your, a very good one, use a lot of power...
Anyway i wouldn't focus on slowing down the computer...see again is everything ok with adapter, charger, cable and battery....

josefthomson

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hi,
To increase your battery life follow this instruction-

1. Ship shape with a defrag- The faster your hard drive does its work – less demand you are going to put on the hard drive and your battery. Make your hard drive as efficient as possible by defragging it regularly.

2. Kill the resource gobblers- End the background processes that are not vital. Monitor the resource usage through a “˜Ctrl-Alt-Del’ which brings up the Windows Task Manager (in Windows). If you’re not on the internet, it is safe to shut down the immediate non-essential programs running in the taskbar like the antivirus and the firewall. Weed out unnecessary
programs running as start-ups by launching the System Configuration Utility from Run ““ Msconfig ““ Tab: Startup. Uncheck the programs which you don’t want to launch and reboot the computer once.

3. Dim your screen – Most laptops come with the ability to dim your laptop screen. Some even come with ways to modify CPU and cooling performance. Cut them down to the lowest level you can tolerate to squeeze out some extra battery juice.

4. Pause the scheduled tasks- It may be a defrag or a virus scan, but make sure it is scheduled for a time when you are near a power outlet. If not then nix them for the moment.

5. Unplug external devices-USB devices are the biggest drainers of battery power. Unplug all external devices like an external mouse, PC cards, Wi-Fi, external speakers, Bluetooth and even an attached iPod.

6. Empty the CD/DVD Drives- Even if you don’t intend to use it, don’t leave any CD/DVDs as leftovers in the drives. A spinning drive sucks battery power like a sponge.

7. Add more RAM - This will allow you to process more with the memory your laptop has, rather than relying on virtual memory. Virtual memory results in hard drive use, and is much less power efficient. Note that adding more RAM will consume more energy, so this is most applicable if you do need to run memory intensive programs which actually require heavy usage of virtual memory.

8. Go local- Desist using the DVD/external drives while running on batteries. Shift the content to the hard drive or run using (free) virtual drives like Pismo File Mount or even Microsoft’s Virtual CD ROM Control Panel.

9. Kill the sounds- Mute the speakers and try avoiding the use of multimedia software to maximize the battery life. Installed sound schemes also drain a battery perceptibly.

10. Visit Power Options- Get familiar with power management through the “˜Power Options’ applet in the Control Panel. Both XP and Vista come with advanced power management features which shut off components like the monitor and/or the hard drive after specified intervals. This again depends on the chosen “˜Power Schemes’ (for XP) in the same applet. For instance in XP, “˜Max Battery’ under Power Schemes can be selected for maximum battery optimizati

11. Hibernate is better than Sleep-In the Stand By mode (or sleep mode), the computer turns of the hard drive and the display but memory remains active while the CPU slows down. This draws on the battery. In contrast, hibernation mode is better because the computer saves the current state and shuts itself down completely thus saving power.

12. Update software and drivers-This sounds a bit incongruous but then newer drivers and software are often designed to be more efficient (and hopefully less resource hungry).

You may visit this link for appropriate answer- http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-can-i-overcome-my-laptop-battery-problems

Regards,
Josef,