Internal touchpad and keyboard lag/skip charaters, external usb work just fine

victor.sto13

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Hi guys,

I have a laptop, ASUS X550L. I put the laptop to sleep in the morning and ever since I woke it up the keyboard and the touchpad have been lagging horribly. The performance of the PC has not worsened and external USB mice and keyboards work just fine.

Any help would be of use. Thanks!

Solution
You would be surprised at how many people don't reboot. Hence the suggestion.

While I can't say for 100% it isn't related to the motherboard, I wouldn't think it is.

I am leaning towards the connections. Something in the cables that over time gets bent/pinched, etc. While they are separate, the same issue then could be effecting both. Personally I would start there.

victor.sto13

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

Yeah, of course.

UPDATE:
I found a temporary fix: when if I detach the palmrest (front panel with keyboard and touchpad) and re-attach it the issue gets fixed. While this gives me more clarity what the issue is (hardware), it's only a temporary fix - after a few hours, I need to go to all trouble again.

NEW QUESTIONS:
1. Strange thing is it appears the keyboard and the touchpad are connected via 2 different cables, i.e. they should be independent, yet when I get the lag it affects both simultaneously (at the same time USB mice/keyboards work just fine). Any explanations?

2. I could always order a new palmrest (keyboard and touchpad panel) and change it, but I want to make sure the problem is there and not in the motherboard. Would you recommend this? How can I make sure the problem is there and not in the motherboard?

Thanks

You would be surprised at how many people don't reboot. Hence the suggestion.

While I can't say for 100% it isn't related to the motherboard, I wouldn't think it is.

I am leaning towards the connections. Something in the cables that over time gets bent/pinched, etc. While they are separate, the same issue then could be effecting both. Personally I would start there.

Solution