Is 88-92C CPU too hot while gaming? Asus G56JR

geniusiemens

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I have a 3 years old Asus G56JR laptop, and recently I have some lag in games.
Drivers up to date, power settings fine, no Power 4 Gear, control panel settings good, no infections, no unnecessary programs/services running in the back.
Can it be because of the CPU running too hot? 55-60C and 0-20% load when just browsing, 88-92C and 40-50% load when gaming for about 5 minutes, then it starts lagging.
CPU temp goes down to 87C, but load seems to raises to 80%. When lag stops, then temp goes back up, load down. GPU temp is fine, but when the lagging starts, GPU usage drops considerably, and memory clock raises from 1650MHz to 4010MHz, which is it's max I think.
I have GPU Tweak II and Open Hardware Monitor. Should I use Throttlestop?
This occurs even on the lowest graphic settings, but if I switch to use the integrated GPU, which can run games only on low settings, then there is no lag, and the CPU is steady at 89-92C and 50% load.
And one other thing, sorry for being so noob, i have no clue what "VRAM" is, or if I even have that, but GPU Tweak II shows that its on 0%.

Solution
I can tell you is that vram is basically RAM for your GPU.

I also happen to game on a laptop and it started to lag and run hotter than usual. I checked its air intake and exhaust and noticed that its intake was clogged up with dust. After opening the laptop and cleaning it, it was back to normal. Try doing the same. OR take it to a repair shop and ask them to clean it for you as opening a laptop is a tedious process.

Samuel_gaming

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
I can tell you is that vram is basically RAM for your GPU.

I also happen to game on a laptop and it started to lag and run hotter than usual. I checked its air intake and exhaust and noticed that its intake was clogged up with dust. After opening the laptop and cleaning it, it was back to normal. Try doing the same. OR take it to a repair shop and ask them to clean it for you as opening a laptop is a tedious process.

Solution

geniusiemens

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017

I will try that! And is it normal that VRAM usage is at 0% all the time?

Samuel_gaming

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

VRAM is always being used, its not supposed to be at 0%, but after looking it up myself, it seems that its a problem with the application...