Is Acer still a bad company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I work in an office with Hp, 2x Samsung, Asus (mine), Toshiba and Acer laptops. The hp is just crap and mine is old and is only i3 so its a piece of crap, but i still think Asus is a great brand. Havent seen any issues with the Acer laptop and it is my third/fourth option in laptops (Samsung, Asus then Toshiba/Acer). I would recommend the Asus laptop and if you arent sure about the Acer then don't even bother. It's not a good idea to spend all that money on a laptop if you are worried about it.
www.notebooksrus.com.au

Peder_dingo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Bought an Acer 5750G with an i5 2 weeks ago:) It gets SUPER hot and the build quality is pretty bad. For instance, the touchpad wont work if you press a key on the keyboard at the same time (I use to play games with the touhpad - but it is impossible with this computer). But I am happy about my purchase because the specs are a lot better than the other computers in this price range (it might be different in your place though) and I got some help on Tom's Hardware to tweak it in a way where it doesnt get too hot.

As a rule of thumb I would say if you plan to use your computer for 3+ years, get the Asus. If you don't plan on using it for that long and if you get better specs (and if you are a gaming, so you need the hardware) go with the Acer. If the hardware is fairly similar (graphics cards etc.) or you don't use it for gaming at all, I would definitely go with the Asus if I was you!

EDIT: The touchpad/no keyboard issue might be some form of setting that can be switched off though, but in general build quality is very plastic-like and not well thought through: Relatively quiet fans and a power management programme that keeps your fans from running when there isnt a need for them - but then at the same time a super noisy HDD, so all in all more noisy fans wouldn't make a difference. Stuff like that.

bravehead

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I've always had good luck with Gateway in fact. I am probaby going to use it for 2-3 years but I am going to be doing a lot of gaming. The Asus is great but it has no quad core processors at that pricerange. I need a quad core computer with a decent GPU for under $800 (USD), And Acer was the only one that offered it. The ASUS one was good but it lacked the good processor.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Asus, Acer. Western Digital, Seagate. Ford, Chevy. They all have good runs and bad runs. I'm with jsc, of the two you provide I would go with the Asus.

bravehead

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
But then I would have to go with a dual core processor. I need a quad core processor for certain games and unfortunately that Acer was the only one I found at that price. ASUS doesn't offer anything with a quad core processor at that price

Peder_dingo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Get the Acer then, if you are prepared for some design flaws here and there. If it gets too warm just turn down the processor speed a bit. It worked for me and it didn't cost much performance-wise.

Peder_dingo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I am no expert and I think it is difficult to say, but their specs are exactly the same except for the Asus's bigger and faster HDD and the faster i7 in the Acer. They have the same graphics card (the same one I have) and for gaming your GPU is more important than CPU. You can check a list of CPU benchmarks here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The i7 is quite a lot faster, but to contrast it a bit I have the i5 that is in the Asus and I have underclocked it due to a heat issue, and when I now run the same benchmark programme my CPU scores 2154 point (as compared to ~3500 before) and that means a loss of 4-5 frames in games like witcher 2 and New Vegas.

I went for an Acer even though I knew it was lousy built and that I would have some issues with it, because the spec/price is just better than anything else, and so far I did have some issues but they got sorted with some help here, and I am happy about my purchase.

Edit: I know this is awfully old-fashioned but perhaps there is a computer store somewhere around where you live that carries one of the models, so you can have a look at them. The Asus might not be better than the Acer, who knows.

SpazldNinjaDude

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
allways go with Asus if you have a choice to, better chips, better build quality better almost everything, and the durability will be better, Acer are good if you just using your PC for multitasking (such as watching youtube, using word, listening to music, but not gaming)

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Of the two I would take the ASUS even though it has an i5 rather than an i7. Acer is o.k, and they have good specs for the price, but generally poor build quality and battery life compared to their competitors on their lower end stuff. I say look towards Toshiba and ASUS in that price range. MSI is also starting to put out some decent units but I haven't used any myself :p

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
meh, it would be enough to play it on lower settings. GTA 4 isn't coded well so it's not ideal to play on the PC, and that has nothing to do with it being amazing like crysis, it just has to do with crappy coding. That said if you specifically want GTA 4 you are better off with a used 360 from gamestop ($100 on sale though $120 the rest of the time).

wattzy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I work in an office with Hp, 2x Samsung, Asus (mine), Toshiba and Acer laptops. The hp is just crap and mine is old and is only i3 so its a piece of crap, but i still think Asus is a great brand. Havent seen any issues with the Acer laptop and it is my third/fourth option in laptops (Samsung, Asus then Toshiba/Acer). I would recommend the Asus laptop and if you arent sure about the Acer then don't even bother. It's not a good idea to spend all that money on a laptop if you are worried about it.
www.notebooksrus.com.au

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.