Is Android KitKat buggy on Nexus 7?

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I am thinking of buying my first tablet - Google Nexus 7. However, I am reading a lot of negative reviews for the latest Android version - KitKat. It seems a lot of people are complaining about camera crashes, buggy touch screen and apps crashing, thanks to the update. This is the only reason I am hesitating of buying it. Other than that, the tablet seems amazing and at a considerable price. I hope that you can help me. Thank you.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I put Kit Kat on my Nexus 7 (2013) the day it became available, and have had no issues whatsoever. I'm not a heavy user of the camera though.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks. What about hard reset? How often do you have to make a factory reset of your tablet? Also, when I buy the tablet, will I have to update it to KitKat 4.4, or it will be already built in the device?

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I've had my Nexus 7 since release, and have NEVER had to do a hard or factory reset (except for when I upgraded to Kitkat - when I wanted to start with a fresh install)! I suspect if you buy a Nexus 7 now it will probably have Kitkat on it already. Could be wrong on this though.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
After you update to a newer version of Android, and then make a factory reset - that version stays and remains as a base version, right? Also, do you update the version from Settings -> Software Updates?

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Yes, the old version of Android is completely overwritten/replaced with the new one so there is no way you can go back unless you reinstall the older OS. Yep, you just update in the usual way.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

Same here and I've never had to do a hard or factory reset.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Android Tablets 1
gruffoldbear Android Tablets 5
snailmail26 Android Tablets 2
scwolves10 Android Tablets 5
Meadow36 Android Tablets 3
gottalovethehockey Android Tablets 7
D Android Tablets 4
H Android Tablets 1
Muhammad Asim Jawaid Uppal Android Tablets 1
S Android Tablets 1
alphacoyle Android Tablets 1