Is Audio-Technica AT2020 good for gaming?

benjyboi

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I need a microphone that will capture my voice when I talk in games that have a built in VOIP. I'm most likely going to be 2 ft. away from my microphone, so I need something that can make my voice loud enough for others to hear me. I also would like to ask if this microphone can catch any background noise (cars outside or keyboard strokes). Would this type of microphone be good for PC gaming?

Solution
the at2020usb (and at2020usbplus) is a usb model of the at2020 which does not need phantom power. the atr2500 is a cheaper version with somewhat less build quality and audio quality but great quality for lower budgets. both are a bit more than needed for casual gaming voice audio though if you record or skype alot they could be useful.

better quality mics like the 2020 are more sensitive so will often pick up more detail (sometimes of background noises) than cheaper less sensitive mics. this is why placement is key. you can of course work towards avoiding this with a proper setup.

as far as what pickup pattern works best, that depends on how you have the mic situated. a shotgun pattern works great if directly in front and behind the...
its a good microphone but you still should worry about things such as placement as even a good microphone can sound bad with poor placement.

if you use headphones, perhaps a boom mic like the modmic would allow you to keep the microphone where it should be: close to you.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
too nice of a mic for such casual use. ok, it's a cheap mic, but do you have the right hardware with phantom 48V power for it and a proper mic preamp? i have one that i used to record my acoustic & nylon guitars with, and it is very nice, but i wouldn't really use it in a non-studio / non-home-studio environment since you already know you'll have background noise.

pick a mic with a strong shotgun pattern and aim it at your face. they'll have the best background noise rejection. maybe try something like for video cameras - i have a Rode for my Canon and it wasn't too expensive.

the at2020usb (and at2020usbplus) is a usb model of the at2020 which does not need phantom power. the atr2500 is a cheaper version with somewhat less build quality and audio quality but great quality for lower budgets. both are a bit more than needed for casual gaming voice audio though if you record or skype alot they could be useful.

better quality mics like the 2020 are more sensitive so will often pick up more detail (sometimes of background noises) than cheaper less sensitive mics. this is why placement is key. you can of course work towards avoiding this with a proper setup.

as far as what pickup pattern works best, that depends on how you have the mic situated. a shotgun pattern works great if directly in front and behind the mic is free of other noise producing devices but is not good if you move around alot. cardioid patterns ignore audio behind them for the most part and focus on what is in front of them. both are good choices depending on what kind of setup you have.

Solution