Is Avira antivirus safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely-Not-Satan

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
I was on my kindle and I opened a silk browser, typed in the site I wanted to go to, and it took me there for a second, but then there was a pop-up with a screen behind it, and both said "Your system is heavily damaged by Four virus!
We detect that your Amazon Fire HD 7 (4th Gen) is 28.1% DAMAGED because of four harmful viruses from recent adult sites. Soon it will damage your phone's SIM card and will corrupt your contacts, photos, data, applications , etc.

If you do not remove the virus now , it will cause severe damage to your phone . Here's what you NEED to do (step by step ) :

Step 1: Tap the button and install Avira 2016 for free on Google Play!

Step 2: Open the app to speed up and fix your browser now!

Keep checking your battery for 7 days to ensure no further damage."

I downloaded it and ran the scanner, but it didn't seem to detect anything. After that, I went to yahoo to ask about it but it wouldn't let me post it. I deleted it (I think) and it still didn't let me. I'm on a kindle fire when I downloaded it and while typing this, and I downloaded the free version. Was it safe to use or did I make a huge mistake?

Solution
It's 100% a scam - just an ad on a website. At the very least, uninstall the app you installed. Ideally factory reset it.

Notice that it calls your tablet a 'phone'.

I believe Avira itself is legitimate, but that might not be what you installed.
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Definitely-Not-Satan : "Is Avira antivirus safe for kindle?"

It reads like a scam that wants you to try a product with the threat that if you don't, doom and destruction will ensue. The difference here being it appears to be a valid product but I found and tried three Play Store links I found on the Net and they all failed.

That suggests the product in the Store isn't what it seems so I suggest you uninstall it and try something else which is genuine. I use Lookout and never have any problems on any of my Android devices.

cloaveky

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
There is a "rogue" anti-virus with a similar name that is a virus in itself. It tends to self-install from hacked websites by the use of trojans.

Legitimate Avira AntiVir Products should (just like any software) always be downloaded via the vendors website whenever possible. It is safe. And a pretty decent anti-virus program.

Status
Not open for further replies.