Is is worth it to save that great old plasma screen HDTV?

TEXAS2015

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Plasma HDTV still worth Repairing?

I have a 42 inch Plasma Panasonic Viera HDTV from 2009. Cost at that time was around $1000.
Model TC-P42G10. It stopped working recently. This was a high end unit at the time and has smart features ( LAN connectivity and HDMI and media inputs). I expect the repair to be quite expensive ( $ 250 - $400). Reading up on new 48- 50 inch LCD's in the $700 to $1200 range it seems that my old plasma screen may still enjoy a better image quality for cable broadcast and streaming movie viewing ( which I do mostly). I do not game.

Since plasma screens aren't made anymore is it foolish to spend 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new LED set to preserve the old plasma screen quality?

Could just be a couple of bad capacitors on a power board that can be fixed cheaply.

Plasma's have deeper blacks and richer colors at the expense of backlight so you need a dark room to watch it in.

As far as if it Is worth it to spend half the cost that is only a question you can answer. Would you rather have the pros of a plasma tv or a newer possibly bigger TV that has a slightly reduced picture quality.

I would have gotten a plasma back in the end of 2012 but my living room has way too much light coming into it.