Is it possible to overclock my amd radeon 6630m gpu in my vaio laptop?

greengom

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
I would like to overclock my gpu as running not very demanding games like borderlands 2 and battlefield 3 run at around 35 fps on low settings, and can drop under 30 while in a fight etc. while running these games my gpu useage is maxed out and has a temperature of around 55 degrees celsius and my cpu around 65. I've tried using msi afterburner and sapphire trixx but both do not allow me to overclock. While using a older version of sapphire trixx it actually allowed me to overcock but when I pressed aply it switched back to the main clock speeds. While inside the bios I couldn't find anything about my gpu or overclocking and I tried both official. versions of my bios released by Sony.
If anyone has an idea if overclocking my gpu is possible I would appreciate to know.

Specs:

Sony Vaio C series 14 inch
VPCCA15FG (asia)
Intel core i5 2410m
8GB ram (base 4GB)
intel hd graphics 3000 (integrated) 9.17.10.4229
amd radeon 6630m (dedicated) 15.200.1062.1004
1366x768

Solution

Thanks, greengom. It worked for me.
Overclock on a laptop? - - not a chance.

Overclocking generates more heat from the overclocked component. On a desktop PC you can mitigate that by fitting extra cooling fans inside the case. Obviously you can't do that on laptop so it would be constantly crashing & shutting down to prevent heat damage.

greengom

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015

I understand, but while playing games where my gpu is under 100% load the temp stayes around 55 degrees C and cpu around 65 while under around 70% load. I am aware if the risks of overclocking with higher temperatures, but my laptop has been around 90 degrees in the past before I cleaned the dust and added new cooling paste, so I know it can deal with higher temperatures. I am also not planning on ging this high, but my gpu should be able to handle 5-10 degrees without a problem.
I believe sony doesn't allow overclocking gpu and cpu with their current bios and so I was wondering if there is a way around this.

greengom

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
I just found the solution. This is by enabling the unofficial overclock with msi afterburner. now running my clocks at 700/1100 from stock 485/800. I'm still searching of a way to increase voltage and fan speed manually but so far my fps has increased by around 30% while temps have gone up around 3-5 degrees.

waluigi7

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015

Thanks, greengom. It worked for me.

Solution