Solved! Is it possible to send signal to amplifier from powered sub output jack?

itsdeckyah

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Sorry if this is a really stupid/obvious question, but I really don’t know much about the topic.

I have an old amplifier with 4 speaker outputs, and a passive subwoofer (only has left/right speaker wire coming out the back) which when you connect to the amp also emits highs and mids. I also have a powered Logitech subwoofer that came with a pc speaker set, and I was wondering if it is possible to connect the subwoofer to the PCs green jack, then a 3.5mm aux from the output on the back of the sub to RCA into the amplifiers input. Will the subwoofer function correctly in sync with the speakers from the amp/is this safe? Thanks in advance :)

Solution
If the amp for the satellite speakers is in the subwoofer you would need a speaker to line level converter to connect the amp to the subwoofer. If not then you could do it. Should be fine.
Best way to hook this gear up would be if the PC has an orange audio output. Connect that to the powered subwoofer. Connect the green audio output to the amp. Set the PC to 2.1. Set the levels of the amp and sub so you get the amount of bass you like and use the PC for overall volume control. That way the bass is removed from the amp/speakers so they have less work to do and will sound better.
If you don't have a sub out then you have 2 options.
1. Split the green audio output and connect both the amp/speakers and powered subwoofer. Set the PC to 2.0...
If the amp for the satellite speakers is in the subwoofer you would need a speaker to line level converter to connect the amp to the subwoofer. If not then you could do it. Should be fine.
Best way to hook this gear up would be if the PC has an orange audio output. Connect that to the powered subwoofer. Connect the green audio output to the amp. Set the PC to 2.1. Set the levels of the amp and sub so you get the amount of bass you like and use the PC for overall volume control. That way the bass is removed from the amp/speakers so they have less work to do and will sound better.
If you don't have a sub out then you have 2 options.
1. Split the green audio output and connect both the amp/speakers and powered subwoofer. Set the PC to 2.0 stereo, PC adjusts overall volume.
2. Connect the green audio output to the amp. Connect a speaker to line level converter to the B speaker terminals and connect the powered sub to it. Amp or PC controls overall volume.
You could use the passive sub with a passive low pass crossover which would remove much of the mids and highs but you won't have a way to adjust the volume of the sub to balance the level with the main speakers.

Solution

itsdeckyah

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

Thank you so much for your answer! Unfortunately my MB doesn't have the orange sub out port, so I gave the splitter method a go which worked perfectly. However I would like to try the crossover with the passive sub as I am running short on power outlets, is there any particular one I have to use? (Sub has an impedance of 8ohm) Also what would be the correct way to install the crossover into the setup? Thanks ;)