Is it worth repairing my laptop

Jakub1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I have just installed Linux on my old laptop that seemed unusable for the sole purpose of making it somewhat usable. I heard Linux, especially on old machines, uses less processes and therefore is easier on the laptop. Many things are better already on it, but the laptop still tends to make a loud noise(possibly for the heatsink). The battery is also not working, as I have to keep the laptop plugged into AC power. Is this laptop worth fixing and trying to keep it alive?

PS my laptop is a sony vpcf121gx so the ram and hdd space is not optimal, but the ram and cpu for example do not go over 50% in use. Which in my opinion seems promising. In this case, is it worth buying and installing a new fan/heat sink to this computer? What about buying more ram? Should I do anything to this computer knowing that it will not be able to run at, lets say 75%?
Thanks in advance

Solution
Sometimes, but not all the time, laptops are made with the cpu in a module, and they sell the same laptop with different rating CPUs, then you can upgrade that CPU which may give you up to 30%(?) gain, otherwise the CPU is fixed and cannot be upgraded.

In general, laptops are not worth to be rescued, unless you absolutely cannot buy new and/or have emotional attachment to old.

Jakub1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Update - For the most part, when downloading and installing applications, I realized RAM hovers around 90% and CPU tends to crawl up to high numbers as well. Is there anything I can do to the CPU that can improve this problem?

Sometimes, but not all the time, laptops are made with the cpu in a module, and they sell the same laptop with different rating CPUs, then you can upgrade that CPU which may give you up to 30%(?) gain, otherwise the CPU is fixed and cannot be upgraded.

In general, laptops are not worth to be rescued, unless you absolutely cannot buy new and/or have emotional attachment to old.

Solution