Question Is my equipment busted or is this normal?

Jun 14, 2018
I have an Aokeo 48v Phantom Power Supply, a Marantz Professional Audio Scope SG-9P, standard XLR cable, and an XLR to 3.5mm. I plug all of this into my computer to get a very quiet signal. My microphone settings are at 100%, during calls or recording I am only barely audible at 10db boost, but anything above 10db produces way too much background and static. I have been dealing with this problem for over two years, I basically just accepted what I have. However, I think that my microphone is severely underperforming and people shouldn't have to boost my audio 200% before they can even hear me. I'm starting to think my issue comes from the fact that I'm using an XLR to 3.5mm, or maybe the phantom power is just crap? I'm lost and any help would be VERY appreciated.

That mic is designed for use on a video recorder not a desk. It's extremely directional so it basically has to be exactly aimed at your mouth if you are close to it.
I doubt that using the XLR to 3.5mm adapter is the problem unless it's defective.
If the 48v power supply is being powered from the computer it might not be getting enough current to work correctly. Try an high current USB charger instead of the PC.

Jun 14, 2018
That mic is designed for use on a video recorder not a desk. It's extremely directional so it basically has to be exactly aimed at your mouth if you are close to it.
I doubt that using the XLR to 3.5mm adapter is the problem unless it's defective.
If the 48v power supply is being powered from the computer it might not be getting enough current to work correctly. Try an high current USB charger instead of the PC.

Thanks for replying :) . I tried using an Apple iPhone OEM 12w USB and it didn't seem to change anything. I am aware that it is extremely directional and has to be in close proximity to the subject, but it is pointed directly at my mouth and is around a foot away. Is it a computer issue?