Is my laptop screen broken or just the connector cable?

joshbrown151

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I picked up one of those rebrand 'custom' Clevo laptops from eBay a few months back now and the screen has been incredibly problematic over the last few weeks.

I can't pinpoint a specific moment when this started, but I know I questioned the build quality of this thing from the start. The screen was absolutely fine for many months, but I know I didn't trust the hinges from the start.

The screen is cutting out (doesn't refresh, just slowly dims) and exhibits visual corruption that changes when you lightly push on different parts of the surrounding bezel. I've had the thing open in an attempt to ensure the ribbon cable was in properly, but nothing seemed to change.

So now I face a difficult purchasing decision. With both parts being expensive to replace, is there any sure-fire way to know whether the screen is the problem or the cable that connects to it?

I've had the laptop open since in an attempt to mess with the cable, but it was difficult to fully reach. I could poke it but couldn't tug enough to reseat. Nothing changed by moving it ever so slightly, but I'll attempt to reseat when I next crack it open.

NULMg