Is my laptop worth changing to ssd?

Gmckitting

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hey guys,
I have a samsung ativ book 6, these are the specifications,
Core i5 3203M, AMD radeon hd 8850M, 8gb ram.
I have an S-ATA II of 1 tb but it recently broke, so i have to decide if i change it for an ssd or i keep up with the hdd.
What i wanted to know is if my laptop is worth the upgrade or if i shouls start thinking on buying a new one. The only problems i had with thins laptop are that the battery is getting a bit bad and that when i updated to windows 10 i couldnt find all the drivers I needed.
Hope you can help me guys i would really apreciate it,
Thanks
PS. I forgot to put as my old HDD stoped working (I cannot recover anything) how can i do for the OS, I have to buy a new licence?

Solution
The lack of drivers for an old or aging piece of hardware is natural. If all hardware was supported on latter OSes, then there wouldn't have been any need to go forward with upgrades. On a lighter note, if you add the cost of buying a 2.5" SSD and a replacement battery for your laptop, it's about 1/3rd the cost of a brand new laptop albeit the performance seen on today's laptops will be much higher than what you have now, not to mention a lower power profile, lower TDP and better portability.

Can you please pass on the SKU for your Samsung notebook? If you yet have the license key for your laptop/OS(located under the laptop via a sticker) then you can reinstall your OS using a recovery disc(bundled with your notebook).

Mind you, the...

Lutfij

Splendid
The lack of drivers for an old or aging piece of hardware is natural. If all hardware was supported on latter OSes, then there wouldn't have been any need to go forward with upgrades. On a lighter note, if you add the cost of buying a 2.5" SSD and a replacement battery for your laptop, it's about 1/3rd the cost of a brand new laptop albeit the performance seen on today's laptops will be much higher than what you have now, not to mention a lower power profile, lower TDP and better portability.

Can you please pass on the SKU for your Samsung notebook? If you yet have the license key for your laptop/OS(located under the laptop via a sticker) then you can reinstall your OS using a recovery disc(bundled with your notebook).

Mind you, the SSD would be a much faster alternative to your HDD but the SSD can't be partitioned so you have one physical drive to work off of.

This video would also help you mentally prepare for the upgrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5JTexr2vA

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

Bad battery.
No Win 10 drivers
Dead HDD.

Yeah, you could switch it to an SSD. But you'll still be left with the bad battery and no drivers.
For the OS, you can create your own USB or DVD install from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the USB you create, and install
When it asks for the license key, select "I don't have one" (at the bottom of that window)
Proceed on
It will activate itself when it goes online.

neiler0847

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I have a 5-year old DELL inspiron laptop. It has a core i3-3110M processor and 6GB of memory. I am using Windows 10.

I pulled out the 500GB laptop HDD and replaced it with a 500GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD. The difference was night and day. Absolutely fantastic.

My laptop also has an aging battery. I only get 60-90 minutes on a charge. So I often sit near an outlet. If you need better battery life, then it does colour your proposed solution.

Also, if you need 1 TB of storage, the SSD could get pricey.